The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 13, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

This article kinda ties in with my earlier post detailing my personal license renewal problems with the IHSAA (Indiana).

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/fortway...y/12832454.htm

Any comments? I'm a little perplexed by the statement that the winners of some of those contests had to forfeit. Don't understand why a school would have to pay a price.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

This situation makes me sick....The way the states handle their officals...I had decided to stop officiating after several years...the area that I lived was short of officials and during the summer (football) was nearly begged to help a couple of crews out. So I went to the meeting and bam! got hit with a $40 late fee. I was pissed! Something about wanting to get everyone registered early so my name could be in a state officials book...I told him not to do me any more favors!

Your question about the forfeit I believe is the home team (admistration) is required to obtain the services of a state licenced official(s)in all varsity sports, in this case he was not thus the forefeits. Even though he told them he was, it's one of those rules that the buck stops here (administration).
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

That's one of the major problems with coaches or athletic directors hiring the officials. The assignments should be made by an assignor in the officials association.

Bob
Old Mon Oct 24, 2005, 11:55am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
That's one of the major problems with coaches or athletic directors hiring the officials. The assignments should be made by an assignor in the officials association.

Bob
There are pros and cons to working with assignors too. There are really a lot of cons if you are talking about assignors in an official's association. No system assigning system is perfect.

Part of our job as officials is to make sure our business is taken care of. If we wait and assume that all our paperwork is in, then shame on us when things go wrong. I am not saying this official is totally at fault, but I would not work games if I was not sure my information was complete. This is really the case if I am supposed to get patches or other confirmation from the state.

Peace