The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Has anyone participated in this program?

http://www.asep.com/courses/ASEP_Previews/asep-800x/

$75 for an online class. Is it worth it? Have the sport specific classes come about yet - football, basketball, volleyball, etc.?

I'm debating on whether I want to spend the money (and the time) or not.

Our State (Idaho), beside implementing a criminal background search this year, is making a requirement that to work any State tournament play you must have attended a clinic within the last 3 years. It's a good idea as long as the caliber of clinic is maintained at a high standard. So I'm also wondering if this on-line class might qualify as a worthy clinic - any states counting this NFHS program as a state clinic?

I think the introductory/general class has been available for 10 months or so... If it is not being successful, I imagine the business (ASEP.com) will be a flop for NFHS and also the personal investment for certification will be of no value.

Who has taken it and do you have comments about the class? Thanks in advance, Tony.
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 08:42pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I have taken the general course; there is some indication that NFHS/ or state assns. may try to push for a certification/ licensure scheme involving this curriculum.

I was not impressed, either with the content or the online format, and I definitely did not think it was worth $75.00. The sport-specific courses are not out yet, except, I believe, for Softball. This is several months behind the schedule they had advertised. Don't know why: maybe something for the news noses @Officiating.com or the "other" publication?

FWIW, I have taken continuing education/ professional development classes online before which were MUCH better. This one is not a lot more than a restatement of the text, with a couple hokey film clips thrown in for multimedia content. Doesn't look like there have been a whole lot of students signing up. Last time I looked, there were, like, two of us in my state who had completed the course.

JMHO

--Carter
Old Thu Aug 26, 2004, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Cool Thanks Carter

As for now, I guess I will keep my money.