The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 05, 2004, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm new to this forum and I have posted a topic of my own, and responded to a couple.
Resonses to my comments/answers/questions have included changing my nickname from "gumpire" to "gumbypire", being told that I can't comprehend what I read, I'm a rules zealot, etc.
I can't speak for everyone, but don't officials take enough SH*T during games from players, coaches, fans, etc.? Do we need to be in each others a$$ too?
I'm starting to question whether I want to be a part of this forum!

Will someone please tell me, IS THIS JUST A NOTHER OUTLET FOR OFFICIAL BASHING?
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 07:21am
Ref Ump Welsch

Smile

Stay positive my friend. Sometimes we officials like to kid each other. If we didn't, our stress level would go sky high and there'd be noone left to do the games. Plus, I think the ones who really do the bashing are the damn fans and damn coaches who "break-in" the forum and decide they're just as smart as us.
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member

Well, I don't know what to do. I've tried my hardest to have a discussion regarding something not specifically listed in the rules and everyone wants to say I'm wrong. Problem is, noone wants to quote a rule, reg., etc. that shows that I'm wrong while I, keep showing where I MIGHT be right based upon rules, etc.

This is becoming frustrating!!!

Worst part, I'd like to believe the purpose of discussion is to figure something out.

I could listen to coaches, players, etc. tell me I'm wrong at the game....no need to do it at home in my leisure time too.

SHOW ME SOMETHING other than an opinion!!!!
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gumpire
SHOW ME SOMETHING other than an opinion!!!!
Without knowing specifically to what you are referring, sometimes opinion is all we have -- not every situation is covered in any of the rules books. Plus there are 987 (okay -- I made that number up) "known" errors (mistakes, changes in how the game is called to what is written, contradictions, ommissions, etc) in OBR. So, sometimes you'll get an answer to the effect of "what is written isn't what is met."

I don't think anyone here is holding a gun to your head forcing you to use his / her opinion.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

Continuing . . .

And some umpires are thin skinned.

And some umpires refuse to accept when good meaning people post "authorative opinion" (since in many case that is all we have).

And some umpires don't understand CSFP.

And some umpires think tht because the are an "official" that they should be beyond question by other officials.

And some think that we are in some kind of a "fellowship group".

I think you get my drift.

Tee
Old Sun Apr 11, 2004, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences:

Assume from your name you have participated in baseball forum. Can't speak to that since I am strictly basketball official. That forum has been very stimulating and informative. The only bashing I have seen has been from fans masquerading as officials. Easy to identify by their lack of knowledge and downright obnoxious way of talking to people. Probably students - can't be adults at least I hope not.

If you are interested, please stop in and check us out.