The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > General / Off-Topic

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 27, 2016, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Use of Assigning Software for Other Than Sports

In my current job I manage a Navy funeral honors program for about 1/3 of the state of Wisconsin. As we get funeral assignments from our regional headquarters, we then must turn those around and assign them to individual pairs of available Navy reservists, often (as is the nature of funerals) on short notice. Finding people who are available often requires a lot of phone calls. And then we have to send them addresses and directions to cemeteries.

Light bulb went on today. Officials' assigning software programs would work well for managing availability in this type of setup.

Q1: Has anyone ever tried using assigning software for things other than sports?

Q2: Anyone think I could get a 6-month free trial from a company as a proof of concept? Might lead to future business, might not. At the very least the provider would be donating a service to the military, which makes for good public relations.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

I know one of my assignors uses Arbiter not only for assigning but he uses it for managing his life as I use MS Office...

When I asked him why he does not open the 'show master schedule' so we can see which other officials happen to working at a complex he explained how he uses it for all his personal stuff and if he opened it for his group we would all see his appointments, Dr. visits etc.

Based on that I would be something like Arbiter would work for your specific needs. Not sure how cost effective it would be but I bet it would work.
Old Wed Mar 15, 2017, 10:11am
Archaic Power Monger

Somebody needs to show him how to sign up for a free Google Calendar.
Old Thu Apr 06, 2017, 03:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
In my current job I manage a Navy funeral honors program for about 1/3 of the state of Wisconsin. As we get funeral assignments from our regional headquarters, we then must turn those around and assign them to individual pairs of available Navy reservists, often (as is the nature of funerals) on short notice. Finding people who are available often requires a lot of phone calls. And then we have to send them addresses and directions to cemeteries.

Light bulb went on today. Officials' assigning software programs would work well for managing availability in this type of setup.

Q1: Has anyone ever tried using assigning software for things other than sports?

Q2: Anyone think I could get a 6-month free trial from a company as a proof of concept? Might lead to future business, might not. At the very least the provider would be donating a service to the military, which makes for good public relations.
You should contact Camron Rust
Old Sat Apr 08, 2017, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post

Q1: No, I have not tried using it for anything other than assigning officials.

Q2: No, I don't think you could get a free trial, but YES I do think this type program would work very well for assigning in the situation you mentioned. It never hurts to try though.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2017, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the information.