The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Super Bowl Officials Get Rings??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

I guess you learn something every day...

The referees that officiate the Super Bowl also get rings.

These referee rings aren't quite the same as the rings that players get, but they're certainly still a point of pride. Mike Pereira of Fox Sports explained in a 2014 article:

The Super Bowl ring. The officials get Super Bowl rings just like the players do. They aren't as big as the players' rings, but they are still valuable pieces of jewelry. These rings mean the world to the officials and they wear them with such pride.

The American Profile also wrote about Super Bowl referees in 2012 and had retired NFL referee Jim Tunney show them his three Super Bowl rings. Referee Gerald Austin was quoted in that article as saying these refs aren't given much advance notice they'll be officiating the Super Bowl. "They called me about 11 days before the Super Bowl XXIV," said Austin.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

I guess you learn something every day...

The referees that officiate the Super Bowl also get rings.

These referee rings aren't quite the same as the rings that players get, but they're certainly still a point of pride. Mike Pereira of Fox Sports explained in a 2014 article:

The Super Bowl ring. The officials get Super Bowl rings just like the players do. They aren't as big as the players' rings, but they are still valuable pieces of jewelry. These rings mean the world to the officials and they wear them with such pride.

The American Profile also wrote about Super Bowl referees in 2012 and had retired NFL referee Jim Tunney show them his three Super Bowl rings. Referee Gerald Austin was quoted in that article as saying these refs aren't given much advance notice they'll be officiating the Super Bowl. "They called me about 11 days before the Super Bowl XXIV," said Austin.
Why not? Recognition for earning the ultimate prize isn't a terrible thing.

I got a really nice plaque from the state HS association when I worked my first state championship. One of my associations also gives members really nice plaques for each state championship worked. These are on my wall in my home office. Better to me than a ring -- I don't wear jewelry.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

NCAA (at least baseball, and I think other sports) who work the "finals" also get a ring.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 10:43am
TODO: creative title here

I know that the officials who work the Stagg Bowl (NCAA D-III championship), at least have the option of getting rings. (Not sure if they have to pay for them or not).
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 11:45am
Chain of Fools

The NCHSAA went away from plaques a few years ago. The new gift, of which I earned in 2012, is a Wilson autograph ball with the state logo and championship game info. All of the crew signed well as our RSO and state supervisor. I mounted mine in a case with my whistle, flag and a photo of the crew.

I know Georgia issues rings as my BJ from last season wears his.

A ring would be nice but honestly, I only wear my college ring to games or university functions now. My wedding band is about as plain as one gets.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2015, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why not? Recognition for earning the ultimate prize isn't a terrible thing.

I got a really nice plaque from the state HS association when I worked my first state championship. One of my associations also gives members really nice plaques for each state championship worked. These are on my wall in my home office. Better to me than a ring -- I don't wear jewelry.
Just caught me by surprise. Not that shocking I guess, good to see the recognition. I had never heard of that, hence the surprise.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2015, 11:06pm
Official Forum Member

My HS basketball supervisor has a Rose Bowl ring from officiating the 2012 game. Not sure if all bowls give rings but his is a very nice one!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith