The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Interference - Cowboys Lions (https://forum.officiating.com/football/98975-interference-cowboys-lions.html)

MD Longhorn Mon Jan 05, 2015 02:25pm

Interference - Cowboys Lions

I surely expected to see some banter over here over that call/pickup. I think we all agree the administration of that was funky (flag, announce, pick up flag without announcement), and that the lack of familiarity with each other might have been a culprit.

What I'd like to discuss, though, is... was it interference?

I am clearly biased (Go Cowboys), and while I can support the non-call logically, I also recognize I can support the other side logically. So ... was it interference? (Cowboy and Lion fans must announce their affiliation)

Welpe Mon Jan 05, 2015 02:41pm

Seems to fit pretty neatly into the category of "Early Contact, not playing the ball" to me.

hbk314 Mon Jan 05, 2015 02:59pm

I'm not a fan of either team, nor am I an official. To me the contact is very minor, but at the same time, I've seen what I would consider to be equal contact or even less contact called. I've also seen more not get called. In my opinion, the decision to pick up the flag was the right one, although the communication wasn't the best with the way it was done.

Raymond Mon Jan 05, 2015 03:18pm

Mea culpa from the NFL...but not for the interference itself. For poor communication, the missed defensive holding call on the same play by Hitchens, and mention of not penalizing Dez when he ran on the field.

Dean Blandino acknowledges Cowboys got away with one | ProFootballTalk

hbk314 Mon Jan 05, 2015 06:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 948754)
Mea culpa from the NFL...but not for the interference itself. For poor communication, the missed defensive holding call on the same play by Hitchens, and mention of not penalizing Dez when he ran on the field.

Dean Blandino acknowledges Cowboys got away with one | ProFootballTalk

Seems to line up pretty much with how people feel here, although I don't think anyone's mentioned holding one way or the other(not really the primary focus of the play).

bigjohn Mon Jan 05, 2015 08:57pm

It was never HOLDING, what is this Jack Wagon looking at????

Matt Mon Jan 05, 2015 09:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 948821)
It was never HOLDING, what is this Jack Wagon looking at????

The holding that occurred.

bigjohn Mon Jan 05, 2015 09:51pm

holding? his jersey, Bullbutter!

Inside Slant: Referee Pete Morelli had four potential penalties on key play - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

hbk314 Tue Jan 06, 2015 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjohn (Post 948837)

What?

AremRed Tue Jan 06, 2015 02:11am

Situationally (3rd down in the 4th quarter of a playoff game), despite the new rules on illegal contact, I thought the holding was marginal and the DPI was marginal. Together I thought they amounted to a foul, but you can't really add up .5 foul + .5 foul to = 1 foul. I agree the administration was poor, not sure how communication got screwed up there.

Dez protesting the call was marginal, I see that reaction go unpenalized all the time. He's allowed to disagree, right? I didn't see anything specifically unsporting about his actions. Every fan forum is whining about him not having his helmet on -- but he wasn't even on the field at the time. As far as I know there are no rules governing whether a player is required to wear his helmet when not actively participating in the play. Being on the field was marginal too, and unless he ran up to an official protesting the call or waved them off or something I doubt the officials would call that in a playoff game.

Rich Tue Jan 06, 2015 09:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 948894)
Situationally (3rd down in the 4th quarter of a playoff game), despite the new rules on illegal contact, I thought the holding was marginal and the DPI was marginal. Together I thought they amounted to a foul, but you can't really add up .5 foul + .5 foul to = 1 foul. I agree the administration was poor, not sure how communication got screwed up there.

Dez protesting the call was marginal, I see that reaction go unpenalized all the time. He's allowed to disagree, right? I didn't see anything specifically unsporting about his actions. Every fan forum is whining about him not having his helmet on -- but he wasn't even on the field at the time. As far as I know there are no rules governing whether a player is required to wear his helmet when not actively participating in the play. Being on the field was marginal too, and unless he ran up to an official protesting the call or waved them off or something I doubt the officials would call that in a playoff game.

He was on the field arguing. Or did you miss that part?

MD Longhorn Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 948922)

He was not on the field for the previous play.

Rich Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 948929)
He was not on the field for the previous play.

Even more reason to throw a flag, then.

AremRed Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 948922)

Nope, I mentioned in my post that Dez was on the field but thought it was marginal. Do you know how far was he on the field?

Rich Tue Jan 06, 2015 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 948935)
Nope, I mentioned in my post that Dez was on the field but thought it was marginal. Do you know how far was he on the field?

Was he standing on the green? Too far, then.