The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

I know this is probably going to sound pretty stupid (please bear with me I'm fairly new at this)> We had an instance in a freshman game where on of the officals threw a flag on a block in the back on a scrimmage kick. Apparently the gunner pushed the defender (blocker) in the back. I wasn't convinced this was a foul and neither was the referee (he ended up calling illegal use of the hands).

Then in an association meeting I brought this up during a quiz we were going over (there was a question about a player from the kicking team going low to bust up a wedge that the runner was behind). The response that I recieved was that the same restrictions apply to the offense as the defense witht he exception of the ball carrier and in case of a loose ball.

This really confused me. I though that as long as the action was not flagrent or a personal foul, that defensive player could push from behind or go low on a blocker as long as it was in an honest effort to get to the ball carrer (not backside/away from the play sort of action).

I'm very confused can anyone help me see how to call this from now on? What are y'alls thoughts? I'm going to go back over the federation books and try to sort of some of these questions, but input here would be great as well.

Jim
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sloth
I know this is probably going to sound pretty stupid (please bear with me I'm fairly new at this)> We had an instance in a freshman game where on of the officals threw a flag on a block in the back on a scrimmage kick. Apparently the gunner pushed the defender (blocker) in the back. I wasn't convinced this was a foul and neither was the referee (he ended up calling illegal use of the hands).

Then in an association meeting I brought this up during a quiz we were going over (there was a question about a player from the kicking team going low to bust up a wedge that the runner was behind). The response that I recieved was that the same restrictions apply to the offense as the defense witht he exception of the ball carrier and in case of a loose ball.

This really confused me. I though that as long as the action was not flagrent or a personal foul, that defensive player could push from behind or go low on a blocker as long as it was in an honest effort to get to the ball carrer (not backside/away from the play sort of action).

I'm very confused can anyone help me see how to call this from now on? What are y'alls thoughts? I'm going to go back over the federation books and try to sort of some of these questions, but input here would be great as well.

Jim
Your questions are not stupid, but you definitely have some things to learn. I don't have my rulebooks, so there will be no rule references, but I think your general misunderstanding is simple. You seem to be confusing an attempt to tackle the ball carrier with a block. Only offensive lineman may block defensive lineman in the back and only in the free blocking zone and only when the ball is in the zone. This is a change from last year (nfhs) since defensive lineman could also block in the back last year. Going through someone incidentally to get the ballcarrier is a different animal. Although, the flag your official threw may have been something that many officials would overlook if it was not severe or obvious if it happened it would be a foul.
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

I understand the Free block zone exemptions (I should have put that in my post). In my mind, I have cases where I wouldn't have thrown the flag, btu now can decide if I would or not. Example:

A ball carrier breaks into the open field, his blocker is a little bit (couple yards BEHIND him). A speedy DB come up from behind, if the blocker is in the way, the DB is not suppost to push/block/knock him out of the way to get to the runner?

How about a DB coming up to tackle a back on a play where the lead blocker is a gaurd that pulled? If the DB goes low, is this a block below the waist?

If there was some discression as for intent (is the runner close) then I could accept that. btu the impression from my association meeting was that its very cut and dry. In both examples above, there SHOULD be a flag flown on the defensive player.

Jim
Old Fri Aug 29, 2003, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Sloth,
On the db coming up behind an offensive lineman...I would have to see it to decide...chances are I would keep it in my pocket unless it is fairly severe, in my mind if the offensive lineman moves into his path, I would keep it in my pocket, but to be honest a db is probably going to lose time and space on the runner if he pushes the big lug out of the way or down....the below the waist call, I would call everytime...safety is a major concern, and if safety or lack there of is involved I flag it
Old Sat Aug 30, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

9-3-5b in the Illustrated Book on page 74 covers what you are asking in some of your post. A block below the waist in this situation does not seem to indicate that a tackler is trying to reach a runner unless the runner is just on the other side of the blocker.

As for breaking up a wedge, don't let them go in low unless the ball carrier is right behind one of them. Remember that the first reaction you have to someone trying to hit you in the knee is to put your hands down and push them away. If the hands touch first then the contact was initiated above the waist.
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I just got acces to my books (on vacation and forgot to take them with me). Case Book 9.3.5 Sit B (page 63) cover the block in the back to get to the runner. I too agree that unless the tacklers clear intent was to tackle the runner, then block below the waist or block in the back flag should be thrown.

Thanks for taking time to answer. As a new offical (and a former HS player and life long spectator) I find that I have to relearn many of the things I though or were taught prior to becoming an offical.

Jim
Old Wed Sep 03, 2003, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sloth
As a new offical (and a former HS player and life long spectator) I find that I have to relearn many of the things I though or were taught prior to becoming an offical.

Jim
You'll be just fine. Just drink the Kool Aid.......