The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Bah. We have big games at the HS level too (granted, not AS big). And there are pressures there as well. I agree with HL, you gotta have frijoles no matter the level.
Your big high school game is nothing compared to a national audience....but I digress cause it doesn't matter...

If you want to discuss the merits of whether an ejection is worthy or not, that's fine. Going down the path you and HLN are going...is not.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:48am
TODO: creative title here

I kinda get the feeling this is one of those "we'll support a non call, but we would've supported a call" type situations, but I have no evidence to back that up other than my gut feeling.

It'll be interesting to see if Rogers says anything about in the next CFO video.

From a mechanics perspective, this just makes me wonder why the Center Judge is responsible for hatching the ball in these situations anyway... seems like the Umpire would be better able to get to the ball/prevent the snap without getting in the way. Thoughts?
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 11:48am
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Your big high school game is nothing compared to a national audience....but I digress cause it doesn't matter...
Isn't that the truth! No disagreement from me here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
If you want to discuss the merits of whether an ejection is worthy or not, that's fine. Going down the path you and HLN are going...is not.
Fair enough. I'll keep it to myself.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 12:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
If the Center Judge believed that contact was incidental, he's got bigger issues. Pure and simple, he wussed out. And I don't care what Rut cares about HS officials. The NFL takes a pretty stern view of contacting an official too. So plain and simple, NCAA officials by and large are too worried about hanging on to the conference they are in or moving up to the next one. Conference commissioners are scared of the coaches too.

You've either got the balls to make the call and live with the consequences or you don't from youth league up to the big boys.
I am going to guess, that he got paid for that game more than you or I would make an entire season of varsity football. He obviously proved his worth to someone, because he was on National TV and you and I were sitting at home commenting on the situation.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 12:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Insisting on punishing a player for a situation, BECAUSE of who he is, is just as bad as NOT punishing a player, BECAUSE of who he is. The official involved didn't look like a rookie, and we should presume his working at the level game suggests an ability to deal with varied situations.

If he felt threatened, disrespected, or otherwise violated, he had the tools to deal with any of that at his disposal. It seems only the official and the player knew what was said, or why something was said, and neither seemed to be overly distracted by what was said.

"Much ado about nothing".
We get accused all the time of what we do based on who is involved and in the comments we have people commenting about "who" was involved rather than what we would do if this happen to anyone else. IT is actually sad and I am saddened by our community with the tone of these comments here and in other places.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
Jameis Winston's contact with official did not warrant unsportsmanlike penalty, ACC says - ESPN

What are your thoughts on both the on-field actions and ACC response?

To me I don't see how there wasn't a flag thrown, and I would have supported an ejection.
The view from behind makes it look like the player is interfering with game administration. But the fact that the official he was shoving didn't throw a flag -- nor did any other official -- or stop play seems to say that the official did not consider it such interference.

Was the offense trying to conserve time? In that case I could understand officials' being reluctant to stop play, although my understanding is that a time penalty is an available tool in NCAA to handle such situations.

Otherwise I think you've got to either immediately flag & whistle it for UC (or at least delay of game), or else acknowledge it as a nothing.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 03:23pm
Chain of Fools

I'm fine with a 15 yarder. There probably wasn't any malicious intent to do harm so no need to eject and no way Mr. Heisman Trophy would get ejected in any event. He was trying to move him out of the way. He knew what he was doing. The CJ was just trying to do his job according to the NCAA rules.

Its just the politics indicative to big time NCAA football that allows this to happen. One level up or down, there is going to be a flag. One level up, a fine also. The NCAA buries their head in the sand, just like knee pads and the restricted area, and tells us all to move along, nothing to see here.

It wouldn't bother me so much but somewhere on a Friday night in the not so distant future some dipstick teenager is going to try the same trick.

Rant over, apologies to TPTB.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Danny Kanell thinks Tim Tebow would’ve been celebrated if he pushed the official | Fan Buzz
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 08:16pm
I Bleed Crimson

This goes to jrut's point. It has to either be a foul or not be a foul, with clear criteria. Intentionally contacting an official is either always a foul or it isn't. Otherwise, we have to hear blah, blah from the likes of Kanell.
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

This is one of those situations where I wonder if Doug Rhoads' public comments match his private comments. In either case, I'm glad he's publicly supporting his guy(s).
Old Mon Nov 24, 2014, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

My take, as a non-football official but a football fan is this should have been a penalty, but it was caused by the positioning of the official as much as by Winston. This is a positioning problem because it does not allow the offense to get set up like they should be allowed to set up.

If I understand the rules correctly, the offense is prevented from snapping the ball until the defense has made their substitutions. There is nothing in the rules that prevent the offense from being able to get set up for the play. The actions of the official by nature of his positioning impact the play of the offense, so I understand Winston trying to move him out of the way. My problem with Winston's actions aren't the first contact, it is when he pushed him over into the left guard. That to me was unsportsmanlike conduct.

I suspect the officials would be a little scared to throw a flag in that situation because of the ramifications of such a penalty on something that is truly a borderline call.

My understanding of the rule is that if you rule the action to be unsportsmanlike conduct for contacting an official, the ejection is required, no if's and's or butt's. There is no grey area. In this case there should have been grey area allowed. I think 15 yards, but not an ejection.

For the record: I am as much of a Winston hater as their is. I think he is a punk kid who thinks he can do whatever he wants when he wants, and there are no consequences to his actions. I think his coach looks like a complete moron for defending the indefensible as well.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
My understanding of the rule is that if you rule the action to be unsportsmanlike conduct for contacting an official, the ejection is required, no if's and's or butt's.
There is a lesser option, though, but it's a bit of a stretch: 3-4-2b.8, "Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball ready for play." That'd be a delay of game foul, just a 5 yarder, but you'd have to say it's clearly deliberate & for that purpose.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
There is a lesser option, though, but it's a bit of a stretch: 3-4-2b.8, "Action clearly designed to delay the officials from making the ball ready for play." That'd be a delay of game foul, just a 5 yarder, but you'd have to say it's clearly deliberate & for that purpose.
How can you justify that when his obvious intent was the exact opposite?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 01:06am
In Time Out

By rule, is it possible to flag him without ejecting? Or is the penalty for contact with an official 15 yards and an ejection by rule?
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 01:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk314 View Post
By rule, is it possible to flag him without ejecting? Or is the penalty for contact with an official 15 yards and an ejection by rule?
Every single penalty that does not involve targeting and fighting can result in just a 15 yard penalty.

Peace