The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

OHSAA Micromanaging!!

2014 Football Bulletin 8 – Week 8 | OHSAA Football Officials

These are really nit picking things, you would think I am in charge of this stuff sometimes!!
LOL!!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

#7 is my favorite.

Player Equipment. A very good official noticed a team that had 3” X 3” “Paw Prints” on their towels. These are illegal. This took place during the Week 5 games. Rightfully so he asked why did the Crews for the Weeks 1 – 4 Games with this team not take care of this? We agree. We are all working & officiating together for the good of all.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
#7 is my favorite.

Player Equipment. A very good official noticed a team that had 3” X 3” “Paw Prints” on their towels. These are illegal. This took place during the Week 5 games. Rightfully so he asked why did the Crews for the Weeks 1 – 4 Games with this team not take care of this? We agree. We are all working & officiating together for the good of all.
That's the only one that I think is really micromanaging, the rest have good points to some degree (I don't really look at the ball manufacturer either, I guess it's more important for playoff games simply because they're a sponsor, I guess). But it's NFHS that insists on making us fashion police, not OHSAA, so not really seeing what's got you so worked up.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

#4 is not how it's done in PA.

BJ blows whistle. How is the U to blow his whistle when it's a 30 or 40 yard FG attempt?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLJ View Post
#4 is not how it's done in PA.

BJ blows whistle. How is the U to blow his whistle when it's a 30 or 40 yard FG attempt?
We keep both wings on the line and send U back under the goalpost along with BJ here....
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
We keep both wings on the line and send U back under the goalpost along with BJ here....
That makes sense then. Thanks.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
#7 is my favorite.

I get that they are illegal and should be addressed because of that there is zero advantage here which is probably why crews smiled and moved on.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

====================
Extension of Period: Crew did not extend the 2nd Period for an accepted live ball foul by the offense. Yes, we extend the period for an accepted live ball foul by either the offense or the defense if time expires during the down. We know there are a few exceptions to this such as loss of down. It is imperative that the Crew talk about this with each other. Does someone on this Crew know the Rule?
====================
That couldn't have been addressed to the crew or some other format that isn't quite so snarky?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:19am
Chain of Fools

I've virtually quit being the towel police. White, black, pink, all 3, I don't care. Team logo, don't care. "F. u. #66"-care. Yellow/gold color- care
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

A Pretender Crew: Watched video including a Try & saw the following: A. LM has his whistle in his mouth throughout the down; B. Neither the LM or LJ hustle in toward the players once the Try is kicked; C. There are fans within the 6’ restraining line & several fans walk on the field after the Try Kick is successful. Is this a Pretending Crew or a Contending Crew? After viewing this first play what impression did they leave with us?

Talk about Snarky!!
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Some of the U's around here struggle with this one, 2 knee braces and 100# overweight make it hard to do anything quickly!

U & Their Towels: During rain or snow (hopefully not too soon!) the U will stand on the LOS with a towel covering the ball as he holds it. Place it on the ground as A moves toward the LOS & move quickly to your IP. If A is in hurry up no huddle offense, then place the ball on the ground & quickly move to your IP.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I've virtually quit being the towel police. White, black, pink, all 3, I don't care. Team logo, don't care. "F. u. #66"-care. Yellow/gold color- care
Well thanks a lot, let's just hope the crew that has this team next week does their job and doesn't have to listen to a lot of BS about, "We had no problem LAST week".

It's not a big deal, you see a player with an illegal towel, Nike bands, Eye shade messages, all you have to do is tell him "get off your field" until he removes that crap. He can EITHER play or look cool, but he can't do both. His choice.

When enough officials do their job, he might get the message and none of us will EVER have to bother with this stuff again.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:29pm
Chain of Fools

Well since you are up in the box running the clock, I'm not gonna let it bother me tonight.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2014, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some of the U's around here struggle with this one, 2 knee braces and 100# overweight make it hard to do anything quickly!

U & Their Towels: During rain or snow (hopefully not too soon!) the U will stand on the LOS with a towel covering the ball as he holds it. Place it on the ground as A moves toward the LOS & move quickly to your IP. If A is in hurry up no huddle offense, then place the ball on the ground & quickly move to your IP.
I'd have taken that a few weeks ago. The U that night manged, at one point when he really needed to move fast, to break into a moderately fast waddle. The R beat him to the new spot every time the play was longer than 5 yards. I'm not a football official, but I don't understand a system that puts guys who can't even jog on a varsity game.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2014, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I am not as strict with the pink towels because last thing I want to do is tell a player he can't wear a pink towel.