The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 27, 2014, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Here we go again.

First game last night. Runner on the ground gets nailed late. I flag for PF. Coach says, "You can't call that. He didn't hit him with the helmet." That's another one for the book I am going to write some day. Apparently, "helmet" is the only word he remembers from the rules clinic discussion about targeting and defenseless player.

Why do we set the bar so low for coaches' rules knowledge? I told some coaches at a recent workshop that I did that their team would have an advantage if they knew the rules.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 08:12am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
First game last night. Runner on the ground gets nailed late. I flag for PF. Coach says, "You can't call that. He didn't hit him with the helmet." That's another one for the book I am going to write some day. Apparently, "helmet" is the only word he remembers from the rules clinic discussion about targeting and defenseless player.

Why do we set the bar so low for coaches' rules knowledge? I told some coaches at a recent workshop that I did that their team would have an advantage if they knew the rules.
I've always maintained that if I were feeding my family by coaching, I (or someone on my staff) would know the rules as well as anyone on the field.
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 09:12am
Chain of Fools

We've got officials we're having to dispel that myth from
Old Thu Aug 28, 2014, 03:58pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I've always maintained that if I were feeding my family by coaching, I (or someone on my staff) would know the rules as well as anyone on the field.
When I was coaching I was that staff member! Even when I was a lower level coach I had to go to every Varsity game to assist the HC with he rules
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
We've got officials we're having to dispel that myth from
Yep. And just as I predicted, we'd have a bunch of officials who combine "targeting" and "defenseless player" into one rule and don't know the difference. SMH.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref1973 View Post
Yep. And just as I predicted, we'd have a bunch of officials who combine "targeting" and "defenseless player" into one rule and don't know the difference. SMH.
Those who insist on beating these rules down finer than a gnat's eyelash, will likely continue to do so, NO MATTER WHAT, but there's really nothing new.

From the 2013 NFHS Rules, under 9-4 "Illegal Personal Contact" (G) " Make any other contact with an opponent which is deemed unnecessary and which incites roughness", (I) "Initiate illegal helmet contact contact (Butt Block, Face Tackle, Spear), and then goes on to explain each, (B) "Charge into or throw an opponent to the ground after he is obviously out of the play, or after the ball is clearly dead in or out of bounds."

The revised language of the 2014 rule additions adds some clarifying verbiage, but what is now identified as either/both "Targeting" or " Defenseless Player" has been understood universally for decades by those wanting to understand.

Last edited by ajmc; Tue Sep 09, 2014 at 03:21pm.
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 03:58pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post

The people that set the bar low for coaches are coaches. Maybe administration that does not require them to much either.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 09, 2014, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The people that set the bar low for coaches are coaches. Maybe administration that does not require them to much either.

Peace

The state requires only the head coach to take the rules test and he is NOT required to pass it. I wonder how the many other coaches in the district get information regarding rules changes, etc. I wish the state would send to EVERY coach that information. I am not certain that they would read it but at least they would have the information available. I don't think the head coach sends any information to the other coaches.

As was stated here, if I made at least part of my living coaching, I'd make SURE that I was very knowledgeable of the rules.