The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Years ago I saw a sheet, something like "14 reasons to drop your bean bag." Has anyone seen anything like that? If so, please forward. I am always looking for things like that. With the new PSK rule, I will be carrying two bean bags this year.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

This is from our (TEXAS 5-man) mechanics manaual

ARTICLE 1. USE OF BEAN BAG - HAT MECHANICS

A. The bean bag will be dropped on the approximate yard line. (Herein after referred to as °spot".)
DO NOT THROW THE BEAN BAG!

B. The bean bag (or hat) will be dropped to mark the appropriate spot:

1. When a scrimmage kick ends inbounds. (This marks the Post Scrimmage Kick enforcement spot. Normally only one official will mark this spot with his bean bag.)

2. When the covering official actually sees a live ball fumble anywhere on the field. NOT
WHEN HE SEES THE BALL LOOSE BUT DID NOT ACTUALLY SEE THE FUMBLE!

3. When a hand-off or backward pass occurs beyond the neutral zone or when there is no neutral zone.

4. Drop hat when an eligible Team A pass receiver voluntarily goes out of bounds.

5. When an eligible receiver fails to return inbounds immediately after being blocked out of bounds.

6. Drop hat when a Team A player goes out of bounds during a free or scrimmage kick down.

7. When a Team A player illegally touches a free or scrimmage kick.

8. When a Team B player intercepts a forward pass, fumble or backward pass be-tween his five yard line and the goal line.

9. When a Team B player catches a free or scrimmage kick between his five yard line and the goal line.

10. When necessary to mark forward progress when the runner/passer is driven back.

11. When the Team A passer is sacked.

12. When a fair catch signaler muffs the kick but can complete the catch before it touches the ground.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mike!

I will share it with my crew.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

#12 is only applicable for those playing under NCAA rules.

#4 and #6 used to be bags spots for NCAA but the now use the HAT. For NF games, you will still use the BAG.

I am surprised on #8 and #9 for Texas games.. NCAA rules allow for recoveries as well. How come the Texas mechanics doesn't support that? NF does not allow for recoveries so they would be valid there.
Old Sat Aug 23, 2003, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Tom, an oversight. Thanks for pointing it out. When we redid the book this year, we took the most recent book which was had not been officially revised for many years and made changes to it. Back when it was last revised, the recovery of a kick did not qualify for momentum exception. We did not pick up on that discrepancy while doing the revision.