The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/97266-ncaa-proposes-changes-targeting-substitution-rules-football.html)

Suudy Thu Feb 13, 2014 04:38pm

NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football

With the NFHS changes, I found this article about the possible NCAA changes.

NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football - SportsLink - Spokesman.com - Feb. 12, 2014

The timing rule I find the most interesting. Focus on Oregon?

KnoxOfficial Thu Feb 13, 2014 07:39pm

I like the timing rule for substitutions. Far too often I've seen those big boys up front on the defensive line look like they are about to fall over which is just a recipe for disaster. Allowing them to have a small window to substitute without any concern of a snap seems like an effective yet mostly unobtrusive way to help prevent injuries for players who are exhausted but can't run the risk that a team could snap the ball the moment the ball is spotted.

hbk314 Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:15am

The substitution rule makes sense from a player safety standpoint, especially given that this is college football and not pro. I think most fans would hate it.

The targeting change is how I think it should have been from the beginning. You're already going to replay. It just seems silly to have the penalty stand when you overturn the ejection.

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50am

New Rule Proposal - NCAA - slow down offenses

NCAA proposes rule to slow down offenses; coaches balk

WTF!?!?!?!

HLin NC Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00pm

Quote:

WTF!?!?!?!
Mike & Mike were all over this this morning. Apparently Saban and Bilema, proponents of old, power offense and stout defense, are some of the push behind it.

zm1283 Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18pm

The substitution rule is asinine. It's like telling a fast break team in basketball that they have to slow the ball down and wait until 10 seconds elapse on the shot clock before they can shoot.

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 922789)

Bah! The article has it wrong about Leach/WSU. Leach has nothing to worry about. He's slow enough. It's Oregon that's probably miffed the most.

Leach did comment and say it's stupid. But he won't be affected by it.

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:00pm

What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game? Does this mean that we just call the game with 10 seconds or less left in the game?

Another article I found on USA Today doesn't even mention the play clock change in the OP.

The 10 football rule changes proposed by an NCAA committee

From this one, the spike rule seems quite strange to me.

(But I especially like the pokes at the Pac-12 crews. :) )

HLin NC Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game?
Won't apply to the last 2:00 of each half, which means players safety will be compromised late in each half:rolleyes:

bisonlj Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 922855)
What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game? Does this mean that we just call the game with 10 seconds or less left in the game?

Another article I found on USA Today doesn't even mention the play clock change in the OP.

The 10 football rule changes proposed by an NCAA committee

From this one, the spike rule seems quite strange to me.

(But I especially like the pokes at the Pac-12 crews. :) )

It doesn't mention it because this was last year's changes.

JRutledge Fri Feb 14, 2014 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 922820)
Bah! The article has it wrong about Leach/WSU. Leach has nothing to worry about. He's slow enough. It's Oregon that's probably miffed the most.

Leach did comment and say it's stupid. But he won't be affected by it.

Actually Oregon was like in the 40s of teams that ran the most plays.

I do not see many teams running plays within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second clock.

Peace

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 922884)
It doesn't mention it because this was last year's changes.

Doh! I looked at the date and saw Feb 14, and thought it was today. I missed the 2013 at the end.

Rich Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922897)
Actually Oregon was like in the 40s of teams that ran the most plays.

I do not see many teams running plays within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second clock.

Peace

I don't think I've ever seen it. Even fast teams aren't snapping with the clock still in the 30s.

bwburke94 Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08am

Pointless change that won't actually affect anything.

CT1 Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922897)

I don't think the actual snapping of the ball is what concerns the advocates of this rule. Many of the HUNH teams call their plays while at the line and IN POSITION to snap. Obviously, the defense can't risk substituting with a snap "imminent".

If the defense knows there won't be a snap until :29, they can plan their substitutions accordingly.