The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/97266-ncaa-proposes-changes-targeting-substitution-rules-football.html)

Suudy Thu Feb 13, 2014 04:38pm

NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football

With the NFHS changes, I found this article about the possible NCAA changes.

NCAA proposes changes to targeting, substitution rules in football - SportsLink - Spokesman.com - Feb. 12, 2014

The timing rule I find the most interesting. Focus on Oregon?

KnoxOfficial Thu Feb 13, 2014 07:39pm

I like the timing rule for substitutions. Far too often I've seen those big boys up front on the defensive line look like they are about to fall over which is just a recipe for disaster. Allowing them to have a small window to substitute without any concern of a snap seems like an effective yet mostly unobtrusive way to help prevent injuries for players who are exhausted but can't run the risk that a team could snap the ball the moment the ball is spotted.

hbk314 Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:15am

The substitution rule makes sense from a player safety standpoint, especially given that this is college football and not pro. I think most fans would hate it.

The targeting change is how I think it should have been from the beginning. You're already going to replay. It just seems silly to have the penalty stand when you overturn the ejection.

MD Longhorn Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:50am

New Rule Proposal - NCAA - slow down offenses

NCAA proposes rule to slow down offenses; coaches balk

WTF!?!?!?!

HLin NC Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:00pm

Quote:

WTF!?!?!?!
Mike & Mike were all over this this morning. Apparently Saban and Bilema, proponents of old, power offense and stout defense, are some of the push behind it.

zm1283 Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18pm

The substitution rule is asinine. It's like telling a fast break team in basketball that they have to slow the ball down and wait until 10 seconds elapse on the shot clock before they can shoot.

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 922789)

Bah! The article has it wrong about Leach/WSU. Leach has nothing to worry about. He's slow enough. It's Oregon that's probably miffed the most.

Leach did comment and say it's stupid. But he won't be affected by it.

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:00pm

What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game? Does this mean that we just call the game with 10 seconds or less left in the game?

Another article I found on USA Today doesn't even mention the play clock change in the OP.

The 10 football rule changes proposed by an NCAA committee

From this one, the spike rule seems quite strange to me.

(But I especially like the pokes at the Pac-12 crews. :) )

HLin NC Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:32pm

Quote:

What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game?
Won't apply to the last 2:00 of each half, which means players safety will be compromised late in each half:rolleyes:

bisonlj Fri Feb 14, 2014 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 922855)
What about hurry up situations, such as at the end of the game? Does this mean that we just call the game with 10 seconds or less left in the game?

Another article I found on USA Today doesn't even mention the play clock change in the OP.

The 10 football rule changes proposed by an NCAA committee

From this one, the spike rule seems quite strange to me.

(But I especially like the pokes at the Pac-12 crews. :) )

It doesn't mention it because this was last year's changes.

JRutledge Fri Feb 14, 2014 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 922820)
Bah! The article has it wrong about Leach/WSU. Leach has nothing to worry about. He's slow enough. It's Oregon that's probably miffed the most.

Leach did comment and say it's stupid. But he won't be affected by it.

Actually Oregon was like in the 40s of teams that ran the most plays.

I do not see many teams running plays within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second clock.

Peace

Suudy Fri Feb 14, 2014 05:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 922884)
It doesn't mention it because this was last year's changes.

Doh! I looked at the date and saw Feb 14, and thought it was today. I missed the 2013 at the end.

Rich Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922897)
Actually Oregon was like in the 40s of teams that ran the most plays.

I do not see many teams running plays within 10 seconds of the start of the 40 second clock.

Peace

I don't think I've ever seen it. Even fast teams aren't snapping with the clock still in the 30s.

bwburke94 Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08am

Pointless change that won't actually affect anything.

CT1 Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 922897)

I don't think the actual snapping of the ball is what concerns the advocates of this rule. Many of the HUNH teams call their plays while at the line and IN POSITION to snap. Obviously, the defense can't risk substituting with a snap "imminent".

If the defense knows there won't be a snap until :29, they can plan their substitutions accordingly.

Rich Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 923413)
I don't think the actual snapping of the ball is what concerns the advocates of this rule. Many of the HUNH teams call their plays while at the line and IN POSITION to snap. Obviously, the defense can't risk substituting with a snap "imminent".

If the defense knows there won't be a snap until :29, they can plan their substitutions accordingly.

Exactly right.

JRutledge Tue Feb 18, 2014 01:04pm

Quote:

I get the concern, but the clock starts right after the play ends. Just hard to get the ball back and ready in that time depending on the play and where the play ends. It sounds like much to do about nothing. Granted I am not in love with this rule, and defenses already were given an opportunity to match substitutions when the offense made a substitution first. This already took a little more than 10 seconds even in those hurry up offenses. I do not think it would make that much difference either way.

Peace

eyezen Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:14pm

I'm no football referee but couldn't this be dealt without a rule change already by having the umpire stand over the ball and allow the defense to make substitutions regardless of how fast the offense lines up?

JRutledge Tue Feb 18, 2014 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyezen (Post 923481)
I'm no football referee but couldn't this be dealt without a rule change already by having the umpire stand over the ball and allow the defense to make substitutions regardless of how fast the offense lines up?

I would not be surprised if that is the mechanic anyway if this rule passes.

Peace

Robert Goodman Tue Feb 18, 2014 08:07pm

Quote:

I think having the wing officials control it as in Canadian football would be better.

CT1 Wed Feb 19, 2014 08:38am

Quote:

How long would you give the D to complete their substitutions?

JRutledge Wed Feb 19, 2014 09:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 923521)
I think having the wing officials control it as in Canadian football would be better.

How do the wing officials control this part of the game in Canada?

In college there are signals for any offensive substitution which is to inform the Referee that there are subs being made and that signal is supposed to be picked up by the umpire. Then the umpire stands over the ball. That is already done and probably realistically takes most of that 10 or 11 seconds to snap the ball, if needed. So it is already done on some level to prevent a quicker snap.

Peace

Robert Goodman Wed Feb 19, 2014 06:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 923558)
How do the wing officials control this part of the game in Canada?

I don't know about "in Canada" (because they do play other kinds of football there), but in Canadian football, I thought you already knew this. I'm probably mixing you up with another poster, so I'll answer.

Once the ball is otherwise readied, or practically readied, for play, the wings look to the bench on their side to see if they want to substitute. If they don't see movement to do so, or once they no longer see such movement, they turn infield and put their arms out sideways. At that point no further substitution is allowed, and the time count begins to put the ball in play. Teams are not required to wait until the ball is otherwise ready for play to begin substituting.

The right person can correct me if I've got some of this wrong.

Mike L Wed Feb 19, 2014 06:30pm

Quote:

Just make the act of looking to the sideline for the play call after the ball is ready equivalent to an A substitution. If A wants to call 2 plays in the huddle or if they can get the call from the sideline as they're running up to the line, they can still run them bang-bang. If what usually happens (like you say above), then once they look for that call from the coaches, B gets a chance to sub just like current sub rules allow. No muss no fuss other than the officials having to make an additional sub call, but how hard can that be when the entire offense suddenly turns like a bunch of prairie dogs to stare at the sideline?

MD Longhorn Thu Feb 20, 2014 09:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 923653)
I'm probably mixing you up with another poster, so I'll answer.

You are... They are both JR...

But JRut is not JurassicReferee.

HLin NC Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01am

Quote:

But JRut is not JurassicReferee
Hardly:D

Ruletool Mon Feb 24, 2014 09:14am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.
Nice discussion about the substitution rule. However, I notice a real philosophy change on Instant Replay. By changing the use of Replay for targeting, in effect the replay official can now throw a flag for another foul (e.g. unnecessary roughness) when it wasn't targeting. That is new, I belief. I'm curious how this will evolve next years.
Fortunately not something we'll have to deal with over here in Europe :rolleyes:
Football Rules Committee slightly adjusts targeting rule, defensive substitutions | NCAA Public Home Page - NCAA.org

bisonlj Mon Feb 24, 2014 09:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruletool (Post 924431)
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.
Nice discussion about the substitution rule. However, I notice a real philosophy change on Instant Replay. By changing the use of Replay for targeting, in effect the replay official can now throw a flag for another foul (e.g. unnecessary roughness) when it wasn't targeting. That is new, I belief. I'm curious how this will evolve next years.
Fortunately not something we'll have to deal with over here in Europe :rolleyes:
Football Rules Committee slightly adjusts targeting rule, defensive substitutions | NCAA Public Home Page - NCAA.org

That's not correct at least for now. If the crew had UNR and targeting, they would announce both. If replay determined targeting did not exist, UNR would still apply so there would still be a 15-yard penalty. Same is true for other PFs like RTP and KCI. If they only rule targeting and replay feels it was not targeting but should have been UNR they are not able to rule that.

Ruletool Tue Feb 25, 2014 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 924435)
That's not correct at least for now. If the crew had UNR and targeting, they would announce both. If replay determined targeting did not exist, UNR would still apply so there would still be a 15-yard penalty. Same is true for other PFs like RTP and KCI. If they only rule targeting and replay feels it was not targeting but should have been UNR they are not able to rule that.

Thanks for clarifying that, I misread the proposed change.

sloth Tue Feb 25, 2014 09:29pm

Aside from proposed rules changes, did anyone notice proposed mechanics changes from the CFO winter coordinators meeting? I found this one of interest...

Head Linesman/Side Judge and Line Judge/Field Judge will switch sidelines at half time. The chain and down box will remain opposite the press box. HL/SJ will work the first half on the press box side.