The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

2013 Linfield College Football: Hampden-Sydney Punt Return

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 09:15am
TODO: creative title here

First block is targeting... blocker launches and makes contact to the head/neck area of a defenseless player (specifically "a player who receives a blindside block"). End zone view shows it perfectly.

Second block is borderline, but probably legal.

Third block is clearly legal. Blocker puts his shoulder directly into the chest of the defender; exactly what he SHOULD do.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
First block is targeting... blocker launches and makes contact to the head/neck area of a defenseless player (specifically "a player who receives a blindside block"). End zone view shows it perfectly.

Second block is borderline, but probably legal.

Third block is clearly legal. Blocker puts his shoulder directly into the chest of the defender; exactly what he SHOULD do.

I totally disagree, the first block was with his hands and arms to the shoulder. Don't think he even hit him with any other body part. Block 2 looks pretty dang close to H to H and close enough to draw a flag if calling on the side of safety. Block 3 looks like shoulder to chest or shoulder but against a guy turned away and wouldn't be shocked if it would have gotten called.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

First hit clearly a foul in all codes.

Second hit slowed down looks to be shoulder to chest, but it's awfully close and an angle that an official had that this camera doesn't might show something warranting a flag.

Third seems clean all the way around.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 12:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I don't think the average person realizes how freaking hard these are to get in real time. Hell, they cause disagreement and discussion during slow motion replay or even stop-action.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Nobody is giving numbers, so I don't know which blocks y'all are referring to.

I've got two blocks in the back on #30 of the kicking team that I think everybody has missed. The first at the R35 and the second at the R33.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post

I've got two blocks in the back on #30 of the kicking team that I think everybody has missed. The first at the R35 and the second at the R33.
#30 is on the receiving team and those are both side blocks. Not even close to blocks in the back. I see those blocks commonly called blocks in the back by HS officials though.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:

The only 30 I see is on the receiving team. I don't consider his two blocks to be blocks in the back. Not even close -- those are side blocks.
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

No one is talking about them - because they are not even close to being in the back. R30 can't even see the back of the player he blocked on either one. Neither player flew forward (both flew sideways). There is no element of blocking in the back at all on either block.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 03, 2013, 03:13pm
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonlj View Post
#30 is on the receiving team and those are both side blocks. Not even close to blocks in the back. I see those blocks commonly called blocks in the back by HS officials though.
My HS crew had a long (and admittedly rather one-sided) conversation about getting off IBB this season. We were flagging these side blocks left and right last year, almost always getting them wrong.

To their credit, I did not see one bad IBB this season (and we flagged about 90% fewer).

The blocks in the video are not IBB.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see any fouls, but one thing these years of coaching has done to me is that now I'm very sensitive to noticing the ballcarrier carrying the ball in the wrong arm, i.e. the infield one. I see it all over the place now.

One thing I'd like to know, though, is what that 2-arms-forward signal is the U gives while awaiting the snap.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2013, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

This is Roger Reddings response posted in another forum on this video.

These blocks all look legal to me. While it is true that they are blindside blocks, they all appear to be low enough--that is, not to the head or neck area, but rather to the side or the chest. In addition, I don't see any markers of targeting, such as a launch or attacking with the crown of the helmet.

Hope this helps.

Rogers
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:08am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not see a single foul on this play. The first block looks like it is with the arms and shoulder and not near the head. The defender just did not see the hits coming, but clearly legal based on what I saw on this video.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 07:09am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I don't think the average person realizes how freaking hard these are to get in real time. Hell, they cause disagreement and discussion during slow motion replay or even stop-action.
+1000

Peace
Old Thu Dec 05, 2013, 02:24pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror View Post
This is Roger Reddings response posted in another forum on this video.

These blocks all look legal to me. While it is true that they are blindside blocks, they all appear to be low enough--that is, not to the head or neck area, but rather to the side or the chest. In addition, I don't see any markers of targeting, such as a launch or attacking with the crown of the helmet.

Hope this helps.

Rogers
Hmmm... then I stand corrected.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that the blockers are playing with fire by hitting their opponents the way they do. Especially in a D-III game where replay isn't available.