The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Rules that make no sense (https://forum.officiating.com/football/95886-rules-make-no-sense.html)

voiceoflg Thu Aug 22, 2013 09:53am

Rules that make no sense
 
On another thread about OPI and DPI, asdf stated:

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 903059)
One of many that make absolutely no sense.

Not calling him out specifically, I am just curious. What FED rule(s) do you all find that makes absolutely no sense? And how would you change it?

Rich Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:17am

I'm not sure it makes no sense, but I've been long opposed to offensive fouls (such as holding) being spot fouls behind the line of scrimmage.

1/10 becomes 1/27 and there's the end of the series for most teams.

I think the NCAA gets this one right. The foul is 10 yards, no more.

I also think the logic behind "if we're not penalizing a LOD on OPI we can't give an AFD on DPI" is tortured, at best. The NCAA/NFL have never had an issue with it, for example. It's not like there weren't examples of other codes, in other words, and the NFHS was breaking new ground.

I'd also eliminate non-PF, non-flagrant, non-USC fouls on scoring plays against the defense. No reason we should penalize 15 on the kickoff for DPI when there's a TD scored on the play. This is one that, to me, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I'd also put an AFD in for all PFs, but that's just something on my wish list.

whitehat Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:27am

I'm with you Rich, on all points!

bisonlj Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:40pm

I agree with Rich as well. Penalty enforcement for fouls against the defense when the run ends behind the LOS should be enforced at the previous spot as well. Case in point, QB drops back to pass and wants to throw to an eligible receiver downfield but he's held. The QB gets sacked for a 10-yard loss. Penalty enforcement for a running play is from the end of the run so this brings the ball back to the previous spot AFTER enforcement. It would be more equitable to enforce that from the previous. It's not a major issue because it doesn't happen often.

HLin NC Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55pm

One that was changed this year was the towel rule. Why we had to be the towel police, I'll never know. I understand streamers and tiger tails and all the stupid juvenile "look at me" crap.

However they didn't take it far enough- I understand no ball or penalty flag colors but why if 3 guys have white and 3 guys have black towels does it really matter?

Robert Goodman Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 903123)
I agree with Rich as well. Penalty enforcement for fouls against the defense when the run ends behind the LOS should be enforced at the previous spot as well. Case in point, QB drops back to pass and wants to throw to an eligible receiver downfield but he's held. The QB gets sacked for a 10-yard loss. Penalty enforcement for a running play is from the end of the run so this brings the ball back to the previous spot AFTER enforcement. It would be more equitable to enforce that from the previous.

True, but that would be better dealt with by having as a separate foul (and enforcement) illegal use of hands vs. an eligible receiver while a legal forward pass to him is possible, irrespective of whether the play ends as a running play. In other words, this should be an exception to 3-and-1, while the general case of fouls by the defense should keep that enforcement.

For rules that make no sense, you don't have to look farther than another thread going on now, where one team puts the ball behind the opposing goal line and the opposing team gains possession and fouls there. It "makes sense" in that a fairly simple application of rules produces a safety, but it doesn't make sense in the overall conception of the touchback/safety distinction.

Rich Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 903123)
I agree with Rich as well. Penalty enforcement for fouls against the defense when the run ends behind the LOS should be enforced at the previous spot as well. Case in point, QB drops back to pass and wants to throw to an eligible receiver downfield but he's held. The QB gets sacked for a 10-yard loss. Penalty enforcement for a running play is from the end of the run so this brings the ball back to the previous spot AFTER enforcement. It would be more equitable to enforce that from the previous. It's not a major issue because it doesn't happen often.

You just hit on one I forgot.

A12 drops back to pass. He's tackled 10 yards behind the LOS by his face mask.

That should be enforced from the previous spot, NOT from the spot where A12 was illegally tackled.

Robert Goodman Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 903137)
A12 drops back to pass. He's tackled 10 yards behind the LOS by his face mask.

That should be enforced from the previous spot, NOT from the spot where A12 was illegally tackled.

Why?

If instead A12 had run 10 yards downfield and fouled there, would you want the penalty on A enforced from the previous spot? Why wipe out the progress of the play up to the time and place of the foul?

Rich Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 903139)
Why?

If instead A12 had run 10 yards downfield and fouled there, would you want the penalty on A enforced from the previous spot? Why wipe out the progress of the play up to the time and place of the foul?

The tackle was the foul itself. Why should B benefit AT ALL from the illegal tackle?

To answer your question, I would put an exception to the all-but-one in place for a defensive foul on a running play. End of the run beyond the line, tack it on -- previous spot if the run ends behind the line. Hey, B's the team that fouled.

Welpe Thu Aug 22, 2013 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 903137)
You just hit on one I forgot.

A12 drops back to pass. He's tackled 10 yards behind the LOS by his face mask.

That should be enforced from the previous spot, NOT from the spot where A12 was illegally tackled.

Unless A12 fumbles, then it is from the previous spot...which is crazy.

REFANDUMP Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:29pm

Why is the play dead just because a kickoff or punt crosses the goal line ???:confused::confused::confused:

CT1 Thu Aug 22, 2013 02:48pm

Why allow a QB "spike" after a hand-to-hand snap, but not when the QB is in the "pistol"?

JRutledge Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFANDUMP (Post 903147)
Why is the play dead just because a kickoff or punt crosses the goal line ???:confused::confused::confused:

Safety.

Peace

voiceoflg Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 903150)
Why allow a QB "spike" after a hand-to-hand snap, but not when the QB is in the "pistol"?

I had forgotten that one. I saw that happen two years ago...and called it right on the air.

REFANDUMP Thu Aug 22, 2013 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 903151)
Safety.

Peace

Still doesn't make any sense to me. If a punt travels 45 yards into the end zone and is returned, doesn't make it any different than a punt that travels 45 yards and is returned in the middle of the field. Same thing as a kickoff fielded one yard into the end zone being more dangerous to return than a ball fielded on the one yard line.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1