The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Rules that make no sense (https://forum.officiating.com/football/95886-rules-make-no-sense.html)

OKREF Wed Sep 11, 2013 06:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 903150)
Why allow a QB "spike" after a hand-to-hand snap, but not when the QB is in the "pistol"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 903153)
I had forgotten that one. I saw that happen two years ago...and called it right on the air.

Happened to me last night. Threw the flag, coaches were asking why?

CT1 Thu Sep 12, 2013 05:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 904800)
They really need to look at removing non-PF / non-live-ball-enforced-as-dead-ball fouls from the provision that allows fouls to be put on the kickoff.

LCD rules-making.

ajmc Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 904800)
Reminded of this thread today -- discussion on DPIs on scoring plays. I mentioned that we should be extra patient when processing these because of the idiotic enforcement if the receiver completes the catch and then scores.

Attempted murder is a serious crime, allowing the shooter to avoid punishment because he's a lousy shot, is not a good idea and sets a really bad prescedent. Allowing DPI, especially near the EZ, to go unpunished because it was unsuccessful, is likewise not a great idea as it would clearly encourage a "what the heck, might as well" attitude.

When the risk of not fouling, is far greater than the risk and punishment of fouling, the risk/reward ratio is tilted in the wrong direction.

Rich Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 904822)
Attempted murder is a serious crime, allowing the shooter to avoid punishment because he's a lousy shot, is not a good idea and sets a really bad prescedent. Allowing DPI, especially near the EZ, to go unpunished because it was unsuccessful, is likewise not a great idea as it would clearly encourage a "what the heck, might as well" attitude.

When the risk of not fouling, is far greater than the risk and punishment of fouling, the risk/reward ratio is tilted in the wrong direction.

Can I flag you for excessive use of commas? :D

Seriously, the foul isn't the contact. It's the *interference*. If I judge there wasn't *interference* then it's not a foul. Even if there is contact.

bisonlj Thu Sep 12, 2013 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 904830)
Can I flag you for excessive use of commas? :D

Seriously, the foul isn't the contact. It's the *interference*. If I judge there wasn't *interference* then it's not a foul. Even if there is contact.

Agreed. The reason why a PF makes sense is you don't want someone getting a cheap shot in on a play like this. DPI is not a cheap shot. If you feel it was a cheap shot than call it UNR rather than DPI. It doesn't happen that often so Im not overly concerned about it, but it given a choice the NCAA enforcement makes more sense.

ajmc Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:15am

Football is a wonderful game that appeals to participants between the ages of 6 and 60. With such a wide age spread it's no surprise that there are slightly different Rules Codes, that take player maturity, experience, physical development, administrative assets and skill levels into consideration.

Some NFL Rules are designed for very skilled grown men, NCAA Rules take other considerations into rule development and NFHS Rules, which apply to 48/50 States take into consideration player maturity, or lack thereof, developing physical skills, developing game comprehension, and are often applied to players younger than High School, suggesting carefully considered modifications.

Having an overall flexible Rule structure, designed to accommodate these differences seems logical, has worked extremely well for over 100 years and is subject to review and revision on an annual basis.

Rich Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajmc (Post 904899)
Football is a wonderful game that appeals to participants between the ages of 6 and 60. With such a wide age spread it's no surprise that there are slightly different Rules Codes, that take player maturity, experience, physical development, administrative assets and skill levels into consideration.

Some NFL Rules are designed for very skilled grown men, NCAA Rules take other considerations into rule development and NFHS Rules, which apply to 48/50 States take into consideration player maturity, or lack thereof, developing physical skills, developing game comprehension, and are often applied to players younger than High School, suggesting carefully considered modifications.

Having an overall flexible Rule structure, designed to accommodate these differences seems logical, has worked extremely well for over 100 years and is subject to review and revision on an annual basis.

I think many of the rules in the NFHS code are LCD rules written to make things easier on the officials, many of whom simply don't know the rules and the principles behind those rules well enough in the first place.