Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Game sense from nonsense.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 05:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Read the all my posts.

For those that want to say, "you are saying it is OK to have Black people use the N--word," then all of you need to go back and read the posts I made. Take everything in context, not just one line and come to a conclusion.

I grew up in a house where this word was not acceptable, was not used and was not condoned in any way. But having said that, there are people in my family (cousins, uncles and aunts) that might use that word in conversation, no matter what I think about it or what my Mom's (who was the main person against my usage as a child, especially with her education background and time she grew up) attitudes about the subject.

If any of you actually READ my responses, I said "I would handle it differently." Mainly because the usage of the word whether I agree or not agree has a completely different context for those that use the word of the same race as compared to a white person using the word. And if you do not believe me, I challenge anyone white to say that around in a mostly Black crowd. Then come back and tell me if you think there is not a difference. So for the person that claims there are some white folks that can use the word and have acceptance, well I have never met them. And if they used that word around the people I associate with, they might find their teeth on the floor. But that is just the many Black folks I know.

The two times this word was used by a Black player talking to his Black teammate during a game, I pulled the players aside, I told them basically, "You would not use that word in your classroom, you would not use that word around your coaches, do not use that word on my field." Both kids said basically, "OK" and it did not happen again. In both cases, I had white coaches and did not feel that they would understand, nor address it to my satisifaction, so I addressed it myself (not much different than many situations on the football field). These kids realized that they had some Black official on the field and showed respect like they do in many other situation in their lives. No different than what I would have done if they players dropped F-bombs that I was the only one to hear. And being a Referee, I have learned to address many situations outside of race and they are dealt with and solved by my words or my umpire's words. Those things can range from taunting to complaining about penalties. And if I took this "black and white" approach, then I would flag everyone for any unsportsmanlike offense and do so 5 or 6 times a game.

Considering that this is something never addressed by the "higher ups" who are all white, I stand by my application of this rule as it relates to people that look like me. And when I have talked to other officials that are not Black, I have helped them understand what is important to them. And just like calling holding, I am going to use "common sense." And common sense is not to call holding on the opposite side of the field of where the ball was run. Common sense is to address a situation (especially when I am the only person that hears it) in a way that stops the action without a flag, in my opinion I have won if I do not have to take out the yellow hankie. I do not have to explain this to the coach and I do not have to debate whether it happen.

I guess 2 years ago my (all-Black crew) basketball crew should have T'd a white coach for bringing this to our attention. This coach was claiming his only Black player (all white opponents) was being called that by the visiting team. I guess because he actually used the words and did not say, "he called him the N-word," we should have just T'd and ejected him for such language. Something my all-Black officiating crew would have definitely addressed if we heard it. But because this was such a controversy at the time, the AD from the visiting team (who we knew very well and is white for the record) had his players run for the apparent slur used by their players. But none of that is important, this coach used a racial slur, so we have to go by the letter of the law and use little common sense at all because the "N-word" was used. BTW, what does this have to do with football? Well the rules are pretty much the same in all sports I have officiated or umpired on this issue. It might not be a flag, but it is unsportsmanlike in nature in all sports I have done over my career. It might not be a flag, but it is a T or an ejection depending on the sport.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

First, and this is a stupid thing to get into a debate over, I must comment that during my observations at a school in the Philadelphia area there were a few occations where white students used the N-word while hanging out in the hall with their "clique" of mostly black friends. This is certainly not the norm, but if you take it to the field, it just shows why handling the situation in different ways based on skin color can create problems.

On a more substantial point, if the slur was used between teammates and it was not heard by the other team, fans, etc. a stern warning and a mention of it to the coach will be my initial action (and that is totally independent of the coach's and player's skin color). If the comment is heard by opponents, fans, etc. I am going to flag it, again independent of skin color.

I can never appreciate what the N-word means to African-Americans. I cannot know what it feels like to have that word used in a hateful manner towards me, and, in contrast, I cannot know why it is acceptable in conversation between blacks. That will create some close-mindedness about the subject on my part, but I cannot justify the use of that word as a part of normal public discourse. If I take the use of the word out of context and I flag it, I apologize, but when the public arena of a football game is entered, those in attendance should have a reasonable expectation of not having to hear a word that through much of its history has been considered hateful. Therefore, irrespective of the context or intent of the speaker, if it is generally heard, I am going to flag it.

[Edited by PSU213 on Aug 6th, 2003 at 07:39 PM]
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 09:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
First, and this is a stupid thing to get into a debate over, I must comment that during my observations at a school in the Philadelphia area there were a few occations where white students used the N-word while hanging out in the hall with their "clique" of mostly black friends. This is certainly not the norm, but if you take it to the field, it just shows why handling the situation in different ways based on skin color can create problems.

There is not a single discussion here that is a "stupid" one. Mike asked the questions for a reason. And this discussion will make someone come to some kind of conclusion as to what they will do on the field, instead of being surprised by the situation if it occurs. I am sure some official has never dealt with this situation and will be better for it. Even I will admit until recently this was not even a concern of mine and I had no philosophy as to how to handle many of these situations. After they happen I came up with some basic personal rules to follow. Now if that does not fit your feelings or your philsophy, that is not a bad thing. You have the right to have your own philosophy and do whatever you see as right.

I have been fortunate to work with many different crews over my career. All of them had a philosophy or something that I might not have agreed with. But the thing I always get out of it, is that it works for them. That is all that matters. So whether you live in Illinois, North Carolina or Florida, you have to come up with the things that work for you and only you. Maybe you are influenced by the official around you, but in the end you have to decide what you are going to do. And if you can live with that, you are doing the right thing.

I started officiating in rural Illinois where I was the only Black person on the field in most cases (coaches, players and many times fans). When I moved to the Chicago area, I had to deal with some challenges that were race related that I never had to confront. And I am sure that many here are in on both ends of the spectrum.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Mr Rutledge,
I would like to make one final comment and I will try not to post on this subject again as I feel like I'm repeating myself and what others have already posted. Maybe I'm not understanding you or taking the time to read all of your posts but it appears to me that your views of people are centered around black and white...from the "higher ups" who are all white to your "all black crew". Nothing wrong with having an all black or all white crew UNTIL you allow black or white to become the standard or value by which you live. In other words, I do not side or support blacks just because they are black. I stand on the side of righteousness regardless of race, gender, age, and even sexuality (thats right, gay people have rights too and they have a right to be heard). Diversity is a beautiful thing my friend. I encourage you and everyone else to consider diversifying your crew with the token white, black, hispanic, or asian to help you and others grow beyond the barriers of racial/cultural differences. If you do this you will find that we are different in some ways but in many ways we are also alike. If you do this you will learn to respect each others differences and expand your thinking beyond your own experiences. If you can expand your thinking beyond your own experiences, then hopefully you will see the wrong in allowing race to influence your call as an official when it (race) has absolutely nothing to do with the application or enforcement of this rule.
Old Wed Aug 06, 2003, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

There is not a single discussion here that is a "stupid" one. Mike asked the questions for a reason. And this discussion will make someone come to some kind of conclusion as to what they will do on the field, instead of being surprised by the situation if it occurs. I am sure some official has never dealt with this situation and will be better for it. Even I will admit until recently this was not even a concern of mine and I had no philosophy as to how to handle many of these situations. After they happen I came up with some basic personal rules to follow. Now if that does not fit your feelings or your philsophy, that is not a bad thing. You have the right to have your own philosophy and do whatever you see as right.

I have been fortunate to work with many different crews over my career. All of them had a philosophy or something that I might not have agreed with. But the thing I always get out of it, is that it works for them. That is all that matters. So whether you live in Illinois, North Carolina or Florida, you have to come up with the things that work for you and only you. Maybe you are influenced by the official around you, but in the end you have to decide what you are going to do. And if you can live with that, you are doing the right thing.

I started officiating in rural Illinois where I was the only Black person on the field in most cases (coaches, players and many times fans). When I moved to the Chicago area, I had to deal with some challenges that were race related that I never had to confront. And I am sure that many here are in on both ends of the spectrum.

Peace
Stupid was not the right word to use. All I meant was that the part on whites who had been accepted into the African-Amercian culture was a minor point in my original post on the manner.

This has been a great discussion, and, Mr. Rutlidge, I can promise you that I will reflect upon your thoughts on the cultural issues in football. Obviously there are differences in how we approach the general issue of culture and football and in how we approach the specific issue of racial slurs. Fortunately we were able to express our thoughts on here in an intelligent manner, and I hope all parties involved will grow as officials as a result. At the very least, I will have something new to think about as I approach this new season.
Old Thu Aug 07, 2003, 12:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Not sure I understand you point.

Derock1986,

Maybe you have a major point in all that I will later understand, but I rarely have a choice to who I work with during any games. Even my football crew has a racial background that kind of just happen, rather than being by design. All I am sharing with you is what has happen with certain officials during particular games. If certain people did not work out, I and my umpire who are Black would not even be on this crew. And it is that simple.

Peace