Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

This is my first post on this board and I hope you all
don't think I'm stupid for asking this question. I have
volunteered to referee youth football this fall, mainly because my son is involved in it and there are no other
willing volunteers. I have played a lot of football in my ancient past, but have never been involved in the officiating side of it. I am looking for a lot of help to
get up to some level competence in the officiating realm.
Does anyone know of a Football Referee Camp or Clinic that I could attend to get a crash course on the fundamentals??
I am very short on experience, but long on enthusiasm and
dedication.

I would be extremely indebted to anyone who could help me out with the above requested information.
Thanks for reading this.
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Kent
This is my first post on this board and I hope you all
don't think I'm stupid for asking this question. I have
volunteered to referee youth football this fall...
Stop right there. lol
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Good luck!

We wanted to start something like that over here: Get one parent from each Pop Warner association team to join our local officials group and work the games. Good way to get more officials...

If I was you I would find the nearest official's association, preferably one that does your local high school league... And start going to their meetings where you can ask questions, listen (most important skill for new officials), and maybe even get to work more games for the experience. You can even find a older official to take you under his wings and mentor you.

Good luck and welcome aboard!
Old Mon Jul 21, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

AJ,

Welcome. I commend you for stepping up when others haven't/won't. Surprised the local officials association doesn't supply officials. Maybe it's a money thing.

First off, officiating is not something you'll learn in a weekend or even a season or two.

To get started, you need to get some rule and case books and start studying the rules. You will be best served by connecting with a local officials association.

Then come the mechanics. These are the positions and actions on the field so that you are in the right position to cover the play. Also, you need to learn your responsibilities for each position and the proper way to communicate with fellow officials, players, coaches.

Most of this learning occurs through experience and with the help of existing officials. And, the guys on this forum are a fantastic resource. Most of us remember what it was like that first year and also feel obligated to give something back to the game and those that follow.

There is a ton to learn, but officiating is kinda like eating potato chips (read as "Snickers" for umpires), you can't eat just one.....

Best of luck!
Old Wed Jul 23, 2003, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Check with your state high school association. They may have an official's clinic coming up in August and at a reasonable cost.

Where are you located?

Good luck!
Old Thu Jul 24, 2003, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Call the high school nearest you and talk to the AD. Find out who the football assigner is and give him a call. Almost every unit has a new man class every year.

Welcome, you'll be ahead of people who never played, even if it was a long time ago.