The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Annuit coeptis.

Just curious. How many of your associations wear the American flag on your uniform? How large is the flag and where is it located?

Our local association in Hawaii has been a member of the California Officials Association because of their great training, rules, and mechanics materials. In their 2003 mechanics manual, they state that the American flag is now required to be worn above the left-hand shirt pocket about one to two inches and the actual flag is supposed to be 2 by 3 inches. I found a company online where you can order these: http://www.anyflag.com.

Remember: Providence favors our undertakings.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Don't know if it was a state thing or a chapter thing, but it's worn on the back, about two inches below the point where the collar meets the stripes.

We wear it on the pocket in my NCAA orgainization. Unfortunately, the placement instructions were not too clear and some attached it .5 inches below the pocket top and others flush with the pocket top.

The flag was size was about 2.25 x 3.25 inches
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Ditto what Tom said here in NJ. For HS, on the back below the collar. For college, one ECAC chapter wants it on the pocket; another wants it above the pocket.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Flag

I'm in CA and with the California Officials Association . I think the biggest reason the flag was added to the HS mechanics was because a flag is required for JC/NCAA and the authors of the manual wanted to be able to use the same shirts for all games. Too bad other states didn't agree, I guess you guys have 2 sets of shirts.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Flag

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott V
.... I guess you guys have 2 sets of shirts.
More than that... we have to wear position plackets on the back.
Wing men (H, L) might work either side.
Deep guys (S, F, B) have it tougher yet.
Worse yet is a Wing that also is assigned a deep position or a deep guy assigned as a wing. Yes, it does occur.
Part of our mechanics is to learn how to sew.
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

We wear ours on our backs a few inches below the collar. The more I look at it, the more I hate it there - it should go on the pocket. Also, the ones we bought have a gold lining around them, which doesn't really go in this circumstance.

For the college guys, don't you sew on the velcro and then velcro on whatever placard you need for that game? The velcro strip gets hidden in the stripes (either black or white velcro). I'm going to have to do that this year as I have some juco games.

[Edited by ABoselli on Jul 18th, 2003 at 09:14 PM]
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
In IL HS flag is optional and is placed on the right sleeve
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

Texas - left sleeve
Old Fri Jul 18, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Novus ordo seclorum.

Thanks guys. Oh AB, the company I linked to earlier http://www.anyflag.com above has patches with gold borders and white borders, right and left facing flags, and different sizes. And yes, I believe that the patch should be placed above the left pocket.

LOL at TH. Is sewing including in your official's manual over there?

Remember: A new order for the ages.

[Edited by Mike Simonds on Jul 18th, 2003 at 08:34 PM]
Old Sat Jul 19, 2003, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
...For the college guys, don't you sew on the velcro and then velcro on whatever placard you need for that game? The velcro strip gets hidden in the stripes (either black or white velcro). I'm going to have to do that this year as I have some juco games.
I know of an offical who used that method. It seemed to work out okay. I found it easier to just tack-sew one on on top of the other, it only took about 5 minutes.
Of course you have to have one permanently on already to do that.
I've heard of others using this liquid cloth glue. Don't know how it works nor how the material holds up under the constant stretching it undergoes during a game nor how it holds up to bad weather.

We usually do not wear the position letters for JC or Community College games as most of the time the crew makeup includes high school officials and they do not have plackets. Makes it easier on them and easier to switch people around based on who really winds up at the game.