The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys...

Football season is fast approaching, and its a wonderful thing. I know there has probably been a good bit of discussion on here about PSK. However, I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not. Thought I would run it by you guys.

Here is the play.

K has the ball at R's 30 yard line. Its 4th and 3 to go. They are attempting a field goal. The kick is up and past the expanded neutral zone. While its in the air and past the neutral zone there is a foul by R in R's endzone. Lets just say it was a clip. Anyway, the ball sails wide to the right and is not succesful. The ball did, however, break the plane of the endzone.

Now, the way I understand PSK, this would indeed be a PSK play. The PSK spot would be the 20 yarline of R, since it would be a touchback. The foul by R in their own endzone is BEHIND the PSK spot, therefore making this a safety. I think I got all this correctly.

Now, here is my question. What if this same scenario happened in overtime???? That would be a huge mess. We do our overtimes by giving each team a turn from the 10 yardine going in. I know that OT is done differently allover the country. But this just seems strange to me.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dr. Moore
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

If you can tell me how it's possible for a clip to occur in the EZ before a FGA ends, I'll tell you the answer!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, tell ya what....

How about we make it the 10 yardline... and everything remains the same on that play?

Now, we have a muffed snap or whatever... and there is indeed a clip in the endzone as I mentioned before.

Everything else remains the same.

Now, please, share your wisdom.

Dr.Moore
Old Mon Jul 14, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: Ok, tell ya what....

Quote:
Originally posted by DrMooreReferee

Now, here is my question. What if this same scenario happened in overtime???? That would be a huge mess. We do our overtimes by giving each team a turn from the 10 yardine going in. I know that OT is done differently allover the country. But this just seems strange to me.

How about we make it the 10 yardline... and everything remains the same on that play?

Now, we have a muffed snap or whatever... and there is indeed a clip in the endzone as I mentioned before.

Everything else remains the same.

Now, please, share your wisdom.

Dr.Moore
Not a problem at all. Don't know if you have the 2003 Rule Book. It has in "Comments on the Rules" the rules for "resolving tied games" and that is what I refer to in this answer.

Rule 5-1-1 states "If the defensive team gains possession, the ball becomes dead immediately and the offensive team's series of downs is ended."

Your question is a good one because the foul cannot go unpunished. My answer would be to penalize the defensive team at the start of their offensive series.

I have to agree the chances of seeing this play are small. But, never say never.