View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 12, 2003, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys...

Football season is fast approaching, and its a wonderful thing. I know there has probably been a good bit of discussion on here about PSK. However, I'm not sure if this has been discussed or not. Thought I would run it by you guys.

Here is the play.

K has the ball at R's 30 yard line. Its 4th and 3 to go. They are attempting a field goal. The kick is up and past the expanded neutral zone. While its in the air and past the neutral zone there is a foul by R in R's endzone. Lets just say it was a clip. Anyway, the ball sails wide to the right and is not succesful. The ball did, however, break the plane of the endzone.

Now, the way I understand PSK, this would indeed be a PSK play. The PSK spot would be the 20 yarline of R, since it would be a touchback. The foul by R in their own endzone is BEHIND the PSK spot, therefore making this a safety. I think I got all this correctly.

Now, here is my question. What if this same scenario happened in overtime???? That would be a huge mess. We do our overtimes by giving each team a turn from the 10 yardine going in. I know that OT is done differently allover the country. But this just seems strange to me.

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dr. Moore