The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 01, 2012, 05:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Agree with 90% of that. For the record, there was a timeout, so taking off his helmet was not an issue.
Don't misunderstand what I am saying. He was running his mouth and took his helmet off to make a point while approaching the official. That is what was wrong, not a rule about taking off your helmet. He did not take the helmet off or get it knocked off and then started getting into the official's face.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 01, 2012, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

The officials flag did not come out until a “F^@^ Y*)”. Seems very clear that the official was in control and #23 White put this all on himself.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofanump View Post
The officials flag did not come out until a “F^@^ Y*)”. Seems very clear that the official was in control and #23 White put this all on himself.
Maybe just me, but I think that comment from a player would earn an ejection in any sport, at any level, at any time.....
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:28am
Archaic Power Monger

" Nobody is going out there trying to bully the referees"

What color is the sky in his world? Good grief.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That might be true if this was an upstanding player that never has reacted inappropriately. This is a guy that has a history of situations. Of course we as officials can pour gas on the fire, but we also have a lot of players and coaches that think they can say anything to us and we are just to walk away. And in this situation the official was standing there (likely getting a spot) and the player not likely realizing that this official was not the person looking at the situation Hall was upset about (which is a problem when they have no idea who is the person to yell at) and then takes his helmet off.

And it is in the culture of football for there to be more interaction with players which includes sometimes saucy language the higher you go up. Hall is just a knucklehead and he is looking for anyone to blame by his sorry behind.

Peace
I wasn't speaking to the DeAngelo Hall ejectiong at all when I made that post that you quoted. I should have been a bit more clear. I was addressing the broad topic of this thread in general.

Hall definitely deserved to get ejected for his actions, no doubt.
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Maybe just me, but I think that comment from a player would earn an ejection in any sport, at any level, at any time.....
I think anything but NFL. It takes either 2 of these or something completely over the top (and usually physical) to earn an ejection in the NFL.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Nov 02, 2012, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
I have seen incidents where referees' choice of words or when they chose to say things has pour gas on a simmering fire.
I've encountered rugby referees who, if there were some super-referee officiating their "game", would have been DQd or at least penalized.

One of them when he penalized you would give you a scolding as if what you'd done wasn't merely a violation (and not a dangerous one) in a game, but some moral failing that would rate an apology to the gods of the game. I've seen players & coaches taking games too seriously, but here was a referee with that failing. Like, OK, just penalize me, don't try to embarrass me!

Another I encountered only once, and maybe he was just having a really, really bad day. I was a touch judge in that game from one team, and this ref was...paranoid. He was handing out the equivalent of USC penalties with little or no provocation, and overhearing statements that weren't about him and taking them to be about him -- and taking them adversely! I went to him after the game to explain one of those situations, thinking maybe I could make him feel better, as he had a drained look, but he would have nothing of it. I just hope he wasn't normally like that, and maybe was fulfilling an obligation by refereeing that game on a day something horrible had happened in his family or something.