The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Good or bad call? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92799-good-bad-call.html)

JRutledge Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:10pm

Good or bad call?

<iframe src="http://www.highschoolcube.com/clip/22738" width="960" height="640" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen></iframe><div><a style="font-size:11px" href="http://www.highschoolcube.com/broadcast-high-school">Broadcast your high school on High School Cube</a></div>

We always love to show videos of other people and complain, well here is my money where my mouth is located. ;)

Peace

MN BB Ref Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:18pm

EXCELLENT position and a correct call!

tow Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:19pm

Congrats,I'd say you nailed it.

maven Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:27pm

It's difficult to tell from the video. If A fumbled in the field of play, and B recovered in the EZ, then you correctly ruled that a TB. That's what it looks like from this angle.

If B recovered in the field of play and his momentum took him into the EZ, this would be a momentum exception.

ajmc Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:33pm

[QUOTE=JRutledge;We always love to show videos of other people and complain, well here is my money where my mouth is located. ;)

Peace[/QUOTE]

The key, as it so often is, is you were in excellect position to make the correct call, and you had a far better look at what happened than the video. I presume your call was correct.

If I may, asuggestion; a beanbag on the ground, in the field of play would be a very helpful prop to eliminate any questions of what you saw.

CT1 Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:49pm

On super slo-mo, and from the angle shown, it appears that B may have recovered at the 1/2. At full speed, I'm sure it looked like he recovered in the EZ, so TB would be the proper call.

Nice positioning and timing, and I'm betting no one said anything about it.

jTheUmp Mon Oct 29, 2012 01:56pm

Clearly a fumble.

Clearly recovered by B.

Might have been at the 1-foot line, but, at least on my crew, the philosophy on plays like this is "benefit of the doubt to the team that made the good play", which would be B in this case.

Give 'em the touchback.

tjones1 Mon Oct 29, 2012 03:23pm

Good call in my opinion. I'm going to assume there was a bag.

Forksref Mon Oct 29, 2012 03:30pm

If it's close, make it a TB. Good call.

SNG10 Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:00pm

The call appears good.

The excessive signaling, not so good.

Texas Aggie Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:24pm

I'm good with the above -- if its close to the goal line, give them the TB. You would have given Team A the touchdown had he appeared to have got the ball across, but he didn't. Defense made a good play, so they can benefit.

If the offense just loses it, with no defensive interaction, then I'd be a little stricter in my scrutiny.

maven Wed Oct 31, 2012 01:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNG10 (Post 860755)
The call appears good.

The excessive signaling, not so good.

"Excessive" — meh. It's a tight call, and OK to sell it.

JRutledge Wed Oct 31, 2012 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 860771)
"Excessive" — meh. It's a tight call, and OK to sell it.

That is why I signaled the way I did. I was also looking dead at my LJ who did not see the fumble and I was trying to not have him go up with a TD or something else. I at first thought it was excessive for sure, but then honestly thought about why I was doing that. Usually I am very subtle and under control, but this play was a sell to me and everyone watching. I probably could have stopped after I got the ball thrown to me. ;)

This is why you watch tape because I would not have thought I gave the signal that many times.

Peace

Rich Wed Oct 31, 2012 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 860775)
That is why I signaled the way I did. I was also looking dead at my LJ who did not see the fumble and I was trying to not have him go up with a TD or something else. I at first thought it was excessive for sure, but then honestly thought about why I was doing that. Usually I am very subtle and under control, but this play was a sell to me and everyone watching. I probably could have stopped after I got the ball thrown to me. ;)

This is why you watch tape because I would not have thought I gave the signal that many times.

Peace

My first year here I watched film of me working the LJ position in a playoff game. Routine first down, I stopped the clock 5 times. Really? Let's just say that I corrected that immediately.

Film can be a great teacher.

JRutledge Wed Oct 31, 2012 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 860777)
My first year here I watched film of me working the LJ position in a playoff game. Routine first down, I stopped the clock 5 times. Really? Let's just say that I corrected that immediately.

Film can be a great teacher.

I also learned a while back to do things in 3s. I have since modified that to only situations where you are making an actual call or if there is a sell, but I think that was a good starting point for me.

Peace