The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

NCAA

With the 2yd "Halo" vanishing this year, there has been spirited discussion on how we are to rule on KCI. Of course, this centers on the term "unimpeded opportunity to catch a kick". We watched a film the other night and as expected we divided the room on how each official sees the play and how they would rule.

Some feel that if R catches the ball, he wasn't impeded, therefore no foul even if K was "in his face". They would argue that since R caught the ball, K, although close, did not violate R's space. Obviously he wasn't impeded by K. 1st down, move the chains, let's go!

Others would argue that if K is in R's face, then he impedes and therefore launches a flag. They say that it is K's responsibility to be under control and provide the room necessary for R to field the ball, unimpeded. In fact, K can certainly impede without contact.

With the intent of officiating to be as uniform as possible on field rulings, what are your thoughts? What keys will you look for to make this call? What discussions are you having to determine how your crews or associations will look at this play consistently across games?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2003, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

AR 6-4-1-X

This AR shows that no contact was made but a foul is still commited. I believe that TXMike also had some rulings from John Adams concerning this and I assume he will reply as well.
Old Wed Jul 09, 2003, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

I attended two clinics, and at both the clinicians said that you can have KCI without contact and with a catch. Attending state meeting in a couple of weeks, so we will see what the "official" party line is.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-