The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

NFL Uprights

Often, we will see a field goal go over an upright, which is a legal goal in the NFL, but often with controversy, because it is hard to prove, or disprove. The logical thing, to me, would be to raise the uprights. The only drawback I can imagine are safety issues, exposing the uprights to more wind. Could there be any other drawbacks, because if a Super Bowl is decided over a ball going over an upright, there would be hell to pay the next day.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 07:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagan View Post
Often, we will see a field goal go over an upright, which is a legal goal in the NFL, but often with controversy, because it is hard to prove, or disprove. The logical thing, to me, would be to raise the uprights. The only drawback I can imagine are safety issues, exposing the uprights to more wind. Could there be any other drawbacks, because if a Super Bowl is decided over a ball going over an upright, there would be hell to pay the next day.
Their height, or minimum height, has already been raised 2 times, or 3 if you want to consider pre-NFL history. It's always the same issue.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Their height, or minimum height, has already been raised 2 times, or 3 if you want to consider pre-NFL history. It's always the same issue.
Kicker's legs are stronger now, I think this is a disaster waiting to happen. It did happen in the 1986 AFC Championship game in Cleveland in OT, if that happened today, it would be a weeks worth of controversy.
Old Sun Oct 14, 2012, 11:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

It is only controversial to those that do not know the rules and complain about things they have no idea about. What else is new?

Peace
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrutledge View Post
it is only controversial to those that do not know the rules and complain about things they have no idea about. What else is new?

Peace
+1
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

I can't remember anything recently happening save for the end of one of the games with the replacement officials...but that controversy was more the fact that it was a replacement official making the call...and a correct one at that. Could they raise the uprights? I suppose they could, but that would only to be solve an "issue" that hardly comes up (at least in the sense where people who actually know the rules have a hard time saying conclusively or not).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 07:20am
Archaic Power Monger

I think it really is a non-issue. Any portion of the ball over the upright? No good. I am not an engineer and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night but I would think raising the upright height even further without widening them would lead to structural stability issues, especially when wind comes into play.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 07:31am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb

Lasers on the goal posts. So, when the ball goes over them, on replay you'll see exactly if it's in, out, or over.......or, whatever.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 07:49am
Archaic Power Monger

Plasma cutters. If any portion of the ball is missing, you know it was no good.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Plasma cutters. If any portion of the ball is missing, you know it was no good.
Yikes! I guess that means no more Goodyear blimp at football games!
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Honestly, I don't think some sort of visible light extending upward is all that bad an idea.

You want to get super hi-tech? Get rid of the uprights completely. Just a bottom bar that projects a red field straight up, equipped with the technology used by police radar... if the field is interrupted, it's good.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 10:59am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly, I don't think some sort of visible light extending upward is all that bad an idea.

You want to get super hi-tech? Get rid of the uprights completely. Just a bottom bar that projects a red field straight up, equipped with the technology used by police radar... if the field is interrupted, it's good.
But then who would Bill Belichick grab when the game was over?
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:17am
Chain of Fools

Cheap technology alternative- fiberglass rod extensions like the bicycle flags were on in the 10 speed heyday.
Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

In all seriousness, I do think that some sort of laser technology will be employed in the future...perhaps have them situated on top of the uprights. I still think we're a while away from that though.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 15, 2012, 11:46am
Broadcaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
In all seriousness, I do think that some sort of laser technology will be employed in the future...perhaps have them situated on top of the uprights. I still think we're a while away from that though.
Then how would you determine if the ball would have bounced through or not if the ball contacts the laser beam?