The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 26, 2012, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Safety or Not?

This situation was posed to my group this week:

B33 intercepts A's pass in his end zone and is tackled there. After COP, but before B33 is downed, B45 holds A22 in B's EZ.

Popular response: Touchback. Assess the holding penalty from B's 20. 1/10 for B at B's 10.

Correct answer: Safety.

Can't find a rule reference to support a safety. Assistance, please.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 07:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post

B33 intercepts A's pass in his end zone and is tackled there. After COP, but before B33 is downed, B45 holds A22 in B's EZ.

Popular response: Touchback. Assess the holding penalty from B's 20. 1/10 for B at B's 10.

Isn't the factor that decides the ruling is to ask how the ball entered the EZ? The ball entered the EZ because of A. So if B fouls, is it fair that the play results in a safety?
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Isn't the factor that decides the ruling is to ask how the ball entered the EZ? The ball entered the EZ because of A. So if B fouls, is it fair that the play results in a safety?
It's not about fair, it's about what the rule says, and I believe I've been railing against this ruling for about 10 years now. Safety is correct, even though it's a ridiculous result.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:48am
Archaic Power Monger

Speaking only for NCAA (don't work Fed any more), this is a safety because while the basic spot is the B-20, the spot of the foul is behind the basic spot. Using 3 and 1 enforcement, the penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul, which is in the end zone. The penalty enforcement results in a safety.

I believe Fed is the same way but what you need to look for is where Fed defines the basic spot and then apply All but one enforcement.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 08:57am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I believe Fed is the same way but what you need to look for is where Fed defines the basic spot and then apply All but one enforcement.
That's it:

10-4-5d (basic spot)

"The basic spot is the succeeding spot:
d. When the final result is a touchback."

10-6 (all but one)

"Unless otherwise listed in Section 4 and 5, a penalty for a foul occurring during
a play is enforced from the basic spot with the exception of a foul by the offense
which occurs behind the basic spot during a loose ball play or running play. This
particular foul is enforced from the spot of the foul."

And 8-5-2c (safety)

"A player on offense commits any foul for which the penalty is accepted and
enforcement is from a spot in his end zone..."
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 09:57am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Moral of the story, don't hold in your own end zone.

Last edited by Adam; Thu Sep 27, 2012 at 10:43am.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODJ View Post

*8.5.2 SITUATION F: B1 intercepts on his own 4-yard line and his momentum takes him into B’s end zone. (a) B1 advances out of the end zone and runs to his own 35-yard line; or (b) B1 runs out of the end zone then circles back into it and in both cases is downed there; or (c) B1 is hit and fumbles and A1 falls on the loose ball in the end zone; or (d) B2 holds A1 in the end zone as B1 is downed there.

RULING: Legal advance in (a). In (b), it is a safety. Once B1 advances out
of the end zone as in (a) or (b), the exception is canceled and action thereafter dictates the result of the play. Touchdown for A in (c). In (d), the foul by B2 occurred in the end zone behind the basic spot resulting in a safety. (7-5-4; 8-2-1; 8-5-2a Exception; 10-4-3; 10-6)
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 10:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's a great thread, actually. And it's a great example of why every penalty can be broken down to some key questions:

Who committed the foul? Team in possession.
What kind of play? Running play.
What's the basic spot? B-20.
Is the foul behind the basic spot? Yes.

So it's all-but-one (or 3-and-1) enforcement. Spot of the foul is in the end zone. Safety.

I have no problem with the ruling, personally. Don't hold in the end zone.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
It's a great thread, actually. And it's a great example of why every penalty can be broken down to some key questions:

Who committed the foul? Team in possession.
What kind of play? Running play.
What's the basic spot? B-20.
Is the foul behind the basic spot? Yes.

So it's all-but-one (or 3-and-1) enforcement. Spot of the foul is in the end zone. Safety.

I have no problem with the ruling, personally. Don't hold in the end zone.
Here's why I don't like the rule.

Generally, the idea behind awarding a safety to a team who is fouled in the endzone is that the fouler possibly prevented the fouled team from getting a safety. When the ball is in the EZ and will be a touchback, that possibility does not exist. Fouls like this should be enforced from the 20.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post

Generally, the idea behind awarding a safety to a team who is fouled in the endzone is that the fouler possibly prevented the fouled team from getting a safety. When the ball is in the EZ and will be a touchback, that possibility does not exist. Fouls like this should be enforced from the 20.
I see your point, however, what about when the runner starts to take off?

There is too much grey area of when the play will result in a TB. (remember, we're talking kids here)

Like many have said... Don't foul in the EZ and it's not an issue.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

This makes so much more sense.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

While I'll enforce this as a Safety, I agree that the rule should be changed, one way or another. The conflicting rule in question is 8-5-3d, which states "It is a touchback when: ... A forward pass is intercepted in B's end zone and becomes dead there in B's possession."

I don't care how the rule is patched, if they choose to make an exception to 8-5-3d which states that a foul accepted by A would be a safety, or if they choose to award B the ball and enforce the foul from the 20 yard line. As long as it removes any conflicts, it's an improvement.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 01:21pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:

But the problem is that we just don't know what might have happened without the foul. Maybe the offended A player hits the ball carrier causing a fumble which A recovers for a TD.

As others have said, don't foul in your own EZ and we don't have this problem.
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
I see your point, however, what about when the runner starts to take off?

There is too much grey area of when the play will result in a TB. (remember, we're talking kids here)

Like many have said... Don't foul in the EZ and it's not an issue.
If the rule were changed such that a foul in the endzone committed while the ball is in the endzone when a TB would be in effect instead of a safety, the foul is marked from the subsequent spot or the 20, whichever is closest to the end zone, that would still cover your "runner takes off" situation. My wording is not perfect here (then again, what rule is? ), but you know what I mean.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 27, 2012, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
But the problem is that we just don't know what might have happened without the foul. Maybe the offended A player hits the ball carrier causing a fumble which A recovers for a TD.
Not seeing the problem on that example either. A would decline the penalty.

West Houston Mike