The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 08:23am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
There was a DPI call in Monday night's game that was just as bad. Hard to know what these guys think they're seeing.
Agree. I suspect that they're not adjusted to the speed of the game and resort to guessing when a pass is incomplete.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 09:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Agree. I suspect that they're not adjusted to the speed of the game and resort to guessing when a pass is incomplete.
I think it has more to do with not properly watching their keys or holding them long enough.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think it has more to do with not properly watching their keys or holding them long enough.
I think you're both right. I've seen blatant examples of both. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a play end, and then look for the official, and waiting 3-5 seconds before he even gets into camera view, much less marks his spot.

Last night was a mess. Flabbergasted that the NFL continues this way.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Last night was a mess. Flabbergasted that the NFL continues this way.
The NFL will continue until enough of the stakeholders flinch.
As best as the general public is aware, the stakeholders are:

1) Officials -- getting paid to perform a service.
2) Team Owners -- paying officials out of their earnings in return for the service.
3) Players -- stats and other performance metrics potentially harmed by quality of officials' work.
4) League Administrators -- Quality of their product (and hence, earnings) directly impacted by quality of official's work.
5) TV contractors -- Product quality (and therefore, potential revenue) based on willingness of fans to see a poorer product of the NFL.
6) Fans -- consumers of the ultimate product, and providers of the revenue.
7) "Vegas" -- Revenue generated from willingness of fans to bet on games, but can only apply indirect pressure to the wound.

You could probably consider merchandisers a stakeholder as well, but I consider them lumped with the teams or the league.

Each of these has their own way of demonstrating that they are tired of it, but every one of them ultimately comes down to how much money they provide.

Fans are still attending games, Vegas is still getting bets, and TV advertisers are still buying commercials. Unless one of these sources of revenue declines enough to hurt, AND it can be attributed to quality of the replacement officials, there will be no change.

At the moment, people are content to whine and complain about the quality of officials. I wouldn't bet on a serious psychological change before Thanksgiving... maybe not until playoffs.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Steve Young got it right last night:

Steve Young On The NFL And Replacement Refs: 'The Bottom Line Is They Don't Care' - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Our only option is to stop watching... how many people can you get to not watch?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

As for the players' stake in this...it's not only about performance metrics, it's about safety. For example, not tossing a player who threw a punch in the 1st quarter scuffle in the MNF game. There was also a similar incident in the Philadelphia/Baltimore game Sunday (i.e. potential punches thrown, no player ejected, later scuffles).
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:24am
Medium Kahuna

I can't believe he used 'inelastic desire' on national TV. Who the hell does he think he is, Ben Bernanke?

But yeah, the substance of his remarks (and his usage of 'inelastic desire') were on the money, so to speak.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I can't believe he used 'inelastic desire' on national TV. Who the hell does he think he is, Ben Bernanke?

But yeah, the substance of his remarks (and his usage of 'inelastic desire') were on the money, so to speak.
Inelastic demand. And he did use it correctly. Young is an attorney, BTW. He went to law school during the winter semesters between football seasons while he was backing up Joe Montana.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:56am
Medium Kahuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Inelastic demand. And he did use it correctly. Young is an attorney, BTW. He went to law school during the winter semesters between football seasons while he was backing up Joe Montana.
First, I said he was "on the money," which means he used it correctly. I can't quite tell from your post whether you intended to correct me.

Second, Young's business finance undergraduate major is more likely than his law degree to be the source of his understanding of inelasticity.

And third, we're both wrong: properly used, 'inelastic demand' refers to stable demand in the face of price changes, not product quality changes.

Perhaps he's invented a new kind of inelasticity.
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And third, we're both wrong: properly used, 'inelastic demand' refers to stable demand in the face of price changes, not product quality changes.
Correct ... but what about inelastic desire?

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 02:13pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Correct ... but what about inelastic desire?
Aren't you supposed to call your physician after four hours?
Old Tue Sep 18, 2012, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp View Post
There was a DPI call in Monday night's game that was just as bad. Hard to know what these guys think they're seeing.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 06:24am
Medium Kahuna

You can see from B32's reaction that he was genuinely surprised by the flag — compared to the "shocked! shocked!" reaction that guilty parties often display.
Old Wed Sep 19, 2012, 07:31am
Keeper of the HAMMER

IMO, the announcers are quite generous here.