The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Trick extra point (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92392-trick-extra-point.html)

jTheUmp Fri Sep 14, 2012 08:57am

In a traditional field goal formation, the wings should be looking at the ends and upbacks, not at the holder. The holder and kicker should be 100% the R's responsibility.

CT1 Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jTheUmp (Post 854427)
In a traditional field goal formation, the wings should be looking at the ends and upbacks, not at the holder. The holder and kicker should be 100% the R's responsibility.

This.

HLin NC Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:41am

Quote:

True, but it probably needs to be clear to 3 officials, as the wings might blow this dead, too.
I have no idea what the kicker and holder are doing in a 5 man crew.
I've got the LOS all the way as the LJ is back with BJ.
In four man, which is rare anymore for me as most of our JV games have added a BJ, I do have K&H protection after the kick as R has to look up to assist the LJ.

maven Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 854432)
I've got the LOS all the way as the LJ is back with BJ.

In Ohio, U and B have the uprights, and the wings are on the line.

And I realize that the holder is not their primary. My point was, if they see him pass or hand off without rising, they might kill it.

Rich Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 854425)
True, but it probably needs to be clear to 3 officials, as the wings might blow this dead, too.

If my wings blow this dead, we're having a mechanics discussion. The holder/kicker are 100% mine.

Rich Fri Sep 14, 2012 09:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 854433)

And I realize that the holder is not their primary. My point was, if they see him pass or hand off without rising, they might kill it.

It's not their place to do so. Period.

jTheUmp Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04am

Quote:

Same in MN.

So, with OH/MN mechanics:
R has kicker/holder.
H and L have ends, upbacks.
B and U have interior linemen (U has snapper) and uprights.

I'm not sure how it would work with regular FED-approved mechanics, as I've never used them in this situation. But still, the wing(s) should NEVER be looking at the holder.

BktBallRef Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkdow (Post 854400)
So, you would allow the holder to throw a pass with his knee on the ground? At the time he has his knee on the ground and does something besides be a holder, I'm killing the play and ruling him down.

Is his knee on the ground or is it 2" off the ground like you said in the OP?

#Makeupyourmind

Bob M. Fri Sep 14, 2012 01:14pm

REPLY: BktBallRef said, "He is not required to put his knee on the ground." That's true in general, but if the team plans on using the numbering exception, then they must be in a legal scrimmage kick formation. That DOES require that the holder has a knee (or knees) on the ground. So if a team had less than five numbered 50-79 on the line and ran the play from the original post, there would be illegal formation at the snap.

ChickenOfNC Fri Sep 14, 2012 01:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob M. (Post 854483)
REPLY: BktBallRef said, "He is not required to put his knee on the ground." That's true in general, but if the team plans on using the numbering exception, then they must be in a legal scrimmage kick formation. That DOES require that the holder has a knee (or knees) on the ground. So if a team had less than five numbered 50-79 on the line and ran the play from the original post, there would be illegal formation at the snap.

Was just about to post this. Thank you.

jchamp Fri Sep 14, 2012 02:32pm

Quote:

Don't go fishing in someone else's pond.

jchamp Fri Sep 14, 2012 02:40pm

Quote:

Go ahead and bookmark this page. You'll want it when it's time to fill out the ejection report.

Rich Fri Sep 14, 2012 04:38pm

Quote:

It's a good point -- one which I was aware of, but not mentioned in the original post. Many schools around here do not use a numbering exception on a try.