The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Shoes

Anyone have a recommendation (good or bad) on shoes that would be suitable for grass or turf?
Old Wed Jun 27, 2012, 02:04pm
Chain of Fools

Pull up Eastbay.com and look through the baseball turf/trainer shoe section. Mizuno makes some decent looking stuff and even has some all-black selections if your area still requires it.

http://www.eastbay.com/Mens/Baseball...y?cm_REF=Black

Last edited by HLin NC; Wed Jun 27, 2012 at 02:07pm. Reason: added link
Old Thu Jun 28, 2012, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forksref View Post
Anyone have a recommendation (good or bad) on shoes that would be suitable for grass or turf?
I've worn these the last couple years - good on grass, even when wet, and very good on turf.

REEBOK NFL REFEREE II LOW QUAG : Honig's Whistle Stop - R045 - REEBOK NFL REFEREE II LOW QUAG

However, since I like the Reebook Zig's so much for BB, I'm have to give these a try.

REEBOK ZIG MAGISTRATE BLACK/BLACK: Honig's Whistle Stop - R739 - REEBOK ZIG MAGISTRATE BLACK/BLACK
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

I wear the new balance 995 in the 3/4 (high top) they have a "turf" bottom but have held up fairly well (3 years old and still look like new) and don't get plugged up as easily because the turf bottom isin't as deep and "grabby" as an actual cleat is. I purchased mine from Officially sports in Pittsburgh. their web site is www.purchaseofficialssupplies.com
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend View Post
I wear the new balance 995 in the 3/4 (high top) they have a "turf" bottom but have held up fairly well (3 years old and still look like new) and don't get plugged up as easily because the turf bottom isin't as deep and "grabby" as an actual cleat is. I purchased mine from Officially sports in Pittsburgh. their web site is www.purchaseofficialssupplies.com
Is it possible to color over the white part at the bottom? We have to have all black shoes.
Old Fri Jun 29, 2012, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it possible to color over the white part at the bottom? We have to have all black shoes.
They actually are all black. There is a little bit of the arch support (which is grey) that wraps around the sides from the bottom and is slightly visible. However we also are required to wear all black and these are worn by several of the guys in my chapter. So I wouldn't imagine there being any problem with them.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NCHSAA recently announced that NC officials would be allowed to wear shoes with up white on them. It's opened up a lot more options.

Just bought these. They make a black/black version as well. The basketball Zigs are the best shoe I've ever worn. Hope these prove to be as good.

Reebok Zig Magistrate

All black shoes is an old, archaic rule that needs to go away for all officials. Nobody cares what shoes an official is wearing, except officials.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith

Last edited by BktBallRef; Sat Jun 30, 2012 at 09:44am.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 10:44am
Chain of Fools

I bought the turf trainer version of those Reeboks last year. Didn't wear them in a game, naturally, and I am glad I held off coloring them in.

While I applaud us (NC) allowing white to join the 21st century, I hope some among us don't screw it up. Those "clown shoe" Nikes that the ACC wore were just plain old fugly.
Old Sat Jun 30, 2012, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I too wear the New Balance. I have two pairs even tho we work almost exclusively on turf now in Seattle and a quick brush ill bring them right back to looking good most of the time. The lower part can easily be turned black with a Sharpie. They are very comfortable and give great traction on turf fields. Honig's sells them (they bring a truck to our first meeting of the year and more& more of our guys are using them), but check out ShoeBuy.com. They often have sales and you can get shoes at 25-40 % off. Honig's had them on their spring sale.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Sun Jul 01, 2012, 03:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
All black shoes is an old, archaic rule that needs to go away for all officials. Nobody cares what shoes an official is wearing, except officials.
I totally agree. And my crew for the State Finals last year wore the Adidas version of shoe that was common in the "Alliance" (Group that assigns the Big Ten, MAC and MVC) at the college ranks and was worn often. Not a single person said a word to us about what shoes we wore or even complained that we were not following NF or IHSA procedures. I am starting not to care one bit about what color the shoes have on them and I am a little old school too.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 01, 2012, 08:32pm
Chain of Fools

After yesterday I can recommend to NOT wear any Air Max styles from Nike, at least during a extreme heat wave . We were on turf in a passing league tourney and one of the guys on the crew had a pair. It got up to 114 on the field at some point. His little air pockets were swelling up in the soles.
He would put ice on the lid of his cooler during breaks and soak his heels.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I bought the turf trainer version of those Reeboks last year. Didn't wear them in a game, naturally, and I am glad I held off coloring them in.

While I applaud us (NC) allowing white to join the 21st century, I hope some among us don't screw it up. Those "clown shoe" Nikes that the ACC wore were just plain old fugly.
Personally, I like all-black because some of the white stripes, zig-zags, whatever, look clownish. Also, a "uniform" means all the crew members should wear the same design. I could maybe go with some white if all of the crew looked like a team.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Personally, I like all-black because some of the white stripes, zig-zags, whatever, look clownish. Also, a "uniform" means all the crew members should wear the same design. I could maybe go with some white if all of the crew looked like a team.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Is it not uniform to wear the same style in shirt or pants? Because if you look at many different uniform items like shirts, pants or even flags and bags they are different too.

And since shoes are so personal of a feel and not every shoe is going to be sold all black, not sure what the big deal is. The fans or coaches never say a word about our shoes.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 01:07pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I totally agree. And my crew for the State Finals last year wore the Adidas version of shoe that was common in the "Alliance" (Group that assigns the Big Ten, MAC and MVC) at the college ranks and was worn often. Not a single person said a word to us about what shoes we wore or even complained that we were not following NF or IHSA procedures. I am starting not to care one bit about what color the shoes have on them and I am a little old school too.

Peace
I like those Adidas Turf Hogs but shyed away from getting them because at the time I only saw collegiate officials wearing them and didn't want to stand out as a poser.

I have a pair of NB 995s that are two years old and holding up well still. I use them for both football and baseball. I'll probably replace them after this football season. I tried on the Reebok Magistrates but they are too narrow on my feet unfortunately.

I do want to try the NB 950s but not thrilled about the MLB logos on them for football.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2012, 01:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I like those Adidas Turf Hogs but shyed away from getting them because at the time I only saw collegiate officials wearing them and didn't want to stand out as a poser.
Well I was given my shoes. The "Alliance" gave guys working D3 their shoes for free and they did not fit my crew chief, so I took his. I loved them and wore them most of the season. I also work college football so those were the shoes that most wore. Sometimes you have to wear what feels good to you and not everything is for another motive, especially when it comes to shoes.

Peace