The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Since this is new for you guys in NF, I thought I would bring this play up to see how you would rule in NF. I'm not too certain on how NF rules are worded for this but it is my understanding that it is not the same as NCAA. I'll put K and R in since that is what you are used to.

4th and 10 on K-30. In a scrimmage kick formation K snaps the ball back to the punter. The punter is under a heavy rush and is forced to scramble. While he is scrambling R clips a K player on the 50. Finally the punter finds an opening and punts the ball deep to the R-30 where R20 calls a fair catch and the ball is dead at that spot. Ruling.

[Edited by JasonTX on Jun 27th, 2003 at 11:43 AM]
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

I'll take a stab at it...foul occured prior to change of possession. I'd guess the line of enforcement should be K's 30. I'll go with first and 10 for K on K's 45.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I think Sloth is right for Fed. I also haven't seen the rule book yet, but I understand that the Fed is still confused about whether fouls during the interval between the snap and the kick might be subject to PSK. We know in NCAA rules, they are. But then again, NCAA defines a "scrimmage kick play" which they use to determine when PSK might apply. Federation has no such definition. They're all screwed up on this change.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

In this month's Referee, they have case plays for Federation enforcement on PSK and one of their plays deals with 'before the kick crosses the ENZ' and after it does. They make a point of stating that the PSK is NOT in effect for fouls that happen before the ball crosses the ENZ and that this is a major difference from the NCAA rule. My guess is that it will be changed either before Sep. 1 or next year.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
In this month's Referee, they have case plays for Federation enforcement on PSK and one of their plays deals with 'before the kick crosses the ENZ' and after it does. They make a point of stating that the PSK is NOT in effect for fouls that happen before the ball crosses the ENZ and that this is a major difference from the NCAA rule. My guess is that it will be changed either before Sep. 1 or next year.
I would suspect that there could be times where the official seeing the foul may not know where the ball was. I guess as soon as you see the foul, take your eye off the action and find the ball to determine if it has crossed the neutral zone.
Old Fri Jun 27, 2003, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stripes1977
I've yet to get this year's rulebooks, but from my understanding that is exactly right. Whether we enforce as PSK or not depends on whether the ball has crossed the ENZ.

I did not realize however, that this was different from NCAA rules. It almost defeats the purpose of changing the rule to be more consistent if it still ISN'T consistent with other levels it seems.
Old Sun Jun 29, 2003, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Not only fouls that happen before the ball crosses the ENZ but fouls that happen inside the ENZ are not covered by the PSK. There is a Case Book play where the LOS is K's 40 and R commits a hold at K's 42. By rule, that is not a PSK foul.

The principle of "clean hands" still applies with the PSK. The difference (NFHS does not like the word exception)on a PSK R must have clean hands when the ball exits the expanded neutral zone.

In answer to the question, my answer is a loose ball play since PSK rules are not in effect at the time of the foul. Take the ball back to the previous spot, K's 30, fifteen yards to K's 45, 1st and ten for K.

Think coach R will buy it? "Didn't they change that rule this year?"

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Jun 29th, 2003 at 07:58 PM]
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Hickland
Not only fouls that happen before the ball crosses the ENZ but fouls that happen inside the ENZ are not covered by the PSK.

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Jun 29th, 2003 at 07:58 PM] [/B]
REPLY: Ed, this part is consistent with the NCAA rule, where B's foul must occur more than three yards beyond the NZ in order for PSK enforcement to apply. And in the NCAA book, three yards is also the limit of their ENZ (even though they don't call it that).
Old Mon Jun 30, 2003, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonTX
I would suspect that there could be times where the official seeing the foul may not know where the ball was. I guess as soon as you see the foul, take your eye off the action and find the ball to determine if it has crossed the neutral zone.
REPLY: Jason, this was the first problem I saw with the Fed's PSK rule. How does a guy 30 yards or more downfield who sees a B hold determine whether or not the kick had crossed the expanded neutral zone?? I asked an NFL friend of mine his opinion. He said that you should just use common sense. If the ball has come off the foot, then you rule that it has crossed the ENZ.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Quote:
REPLY: Jason, this was the first problem I saw with the Fed's PSK rule. How does a guy 30 yards or more downfield who sees a B hold determine whether or not the kick had crossed the expanded neutral zone?? I asked an NFL friend of mine his opinion. He said that you should just use common sense. If the ball has come off the foot, then you rule that it has crossed the ENZ.
After reviewing 10-4-3, it looks like the ball must cross the ENZ. The foul can occur anytime during the down. It does not say that the foul has to occur before the ball crosses the ENZ.

Remember, certain publications are not always correct the first time around.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: I hope you're right STEVED21. That would make it a lot easier--and consistent with the NCAA rule. We've yet to get our rule and case books here in NJ, so I'm flying half-blind, but here is the wording from the NFHS website for the PSK change:
NF 2-16-2g: The enforcement procedure for a foul by the receiving team during a scrimmage kick has been changed. The change reflects that should a foul occur by the receiving team on its side of the expanded neutral zone prior to the end of the kick, the receiving team shall retain possession of the ball following enforcement of the penalty. The foul does not apply to a try. Note that here it comments on fouls occurring ...during the kick. Also, the last sentence is awkward...probably should read, "PSK enforcement does not apply to a try," and should probably also include ...or unsuccessful FG attempts during OT periods." And that thought is also incomplete--at least here in Rule 2. What exactly do you do with an R foul that occurs during a try or unsuccessful FG attempt in OT? Is that covered elsewhere? In NCAA rules, such a foul reverts to previous spot enforcement. Do the new NF rules clarify that?? As you said, probably a lot of editorial revision still required.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Bob,

The rule book now reads:

During a scrimmage kick PLAY.

This makes it easier to enforce.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STEVED21
Quote:
Quote:
After reviewing 10-4-3, it looks like the ball must cross the ENZ. The foul can occur anytime during the down. It does not say that the foul has to occur before the ball crosses the ENZ.

Remember, certain publications are not always correct the first time around.
If you rule PSK after the ball has exited the foot then any foul by R on a scrimmage kick by definition falls under the rule. What everyone questioned were those fouls when the ball is definitely in the air or even on the ground rolling around before R gains possession; therefore, I think that is an excellent way to rule.

As for crossing the ENZ, R can foul before the ball crosses the ENZ or R can foul in or behind the ENZ. Both those cases would not be PSK fouls. Only fouls by R AFTER the ball has crossed the 3 yards past the LOS and until the kick ends fall under PSK rules. If R fouls after player possession, that is a post-possession foul.

If you carefully read 10-4-3 it only talks about movement of the basic spot. Go to 2-16-2g where it defines the type of foul for a definition of a post-scrimmage kick.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What exactly do you do with an R foul that occurs during a try or unsuccessful FG attempt in OT? Is that covered elsewhere? In NCAA rules, such a foul reverts to previous spot enforcement. Do the new NF rules clarify that?? As you said, probably a lot of editorial revision still required.
Bob M., you think of everything -- an unsuccessful FG during OT!

5-1-2 under Resolving Tied Games states:

When the defensive team gains possession of the ball, the down and the series immediately end for the offensive team.

My personal interpretation is if a PSK foul occurs, B will still gain possession of the ball on an unsuccessful field goal attempt.

Rule 8-3-5 covers trys:

...If during a successful try, a foul by B occurs, A is given the choice of:

a. Accepting the penalty and replaying the down following enforcement; or,
b. Accepting the result of the play and enforcement of the penalty from the succeeding spot.

[Edited by Ed Hickland on Jul 7th, 2003 at 12:13 PM]
Old Mon Jul 07, 2003, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Ed,

I hate to disagree, but, 10-4-3 says PSK applies when a foul occurs:
a During scrimmage kick plays, other than try
b During SKP in which the ball crosses the ENZ
c Beyond the ENZ
d Before the end of the kick
e K does not have possesion at the end of the down.

Nowhere does it say the foul must occur after the kick occurs or crosses the ENZ. Except:

There is conflict between 10-4-3 and 2-16-2g.

10-4-3 uses the term scrimage kick PLAy, while 2-16-2g just says during a scrimmage kick.

[Edited by STEVED21 on Jul 7th, 2003 at 12:13 PM]