The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 21, 2000, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

I have come to this forum to get the skinny on a rule that has a lot of people argueing .Most people including coaches and players think that a player on the punting team may bat the ball back onto the playing field after it has crossed the Plain of the goal as long as he is in the air and has not tuched the ground in the end zone .I say that after the ball has crossed the goal it's a tuch back, and it dosn't matter if the player is in the air on the ground or on the moon ,once the ball crosses the goal it's a tuch back . For any thing else to happen you would have to supend all the rules of punting and have a whole new set of rules just for this. I have been looking for the rule so I can educate some very stubbern people . Do you think you can help ?
thanks James Neil
Old Thu Sep 21, 2000, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Rule

I am not sure of the rule in every division but in the NFL you see Players jumping into the ebdzone and tossing it back before they hit the ground and it gets covered theen.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Once the ball crosses the plaine of the goal line, blow your whistle and signal 'touchback'.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Smile

thanks for the feed back Smoke, but you have it wrong also. I finaly got the rule that I was looking for. The rule is National Federation rule 6-3-1 It is a touchback when any free kick ( kickoff )or scrimmage kick ( punt )breaks the plane of R's ( the returning team ) goal line. the ball only has to break the plane, does not have to touch the ground or a player. I am correct, the ball cannot be batted out since it is already a touchback and the ball is dead. It's the same for collage with one small difference ,when a player bats the ball back it's not a foul but a violation and the other team can take the ball where it's spotted or take the touchback, witch they oviously do. Smoke , let me tell you ,so many people have the wrong idea on this I can't belive it . I think what people are seeing when they see a player atempt to bat the ball is they are trying to touch it befor it crosses the line .Because of the angle it looks like they or the ball are in the end zone. But for it to be downed it can't have crossed the plane of the goal. If you come across anything more on this I would love to hear what you have. thanks again Jimmy
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Talking I found the rule

Well I found just about all the rules that there are on this . the rules are in the National Foundation Book of rules .They are N.F. rule 6-3-1, 9-7-2, 4-2-2d1, 8-5-3a and for the NCAA and NFHS it's 8-6 touchback rules . I can tell you all that if you want to bet on this you will have more takers then you can belive.I think everyone but a offical and my self belive that it's not a legal play. And let me tell you it wasnt easy to get the rules on this .I went to a offical message board to get it .