The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Ok heres the deal, Friday night late in a game that had many penaltys a player had blood dripping from his thumb. I am the umpire in our crew and I heard our back judge tell one of the team B players that he had to go out because he was bleeding. So I assume he takes off for the sidelines. This all happenned before the ball was made ready for play. Moments later another team b player calls time out. So we grant him his time out. Before we make the ball ready for play after the time out the head linesman runs to the middle of the field saying the coach is chirping that we should have called a time out to get his player off the field. What do you think? Did we handle it right?
Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

When did the coach complain about the TO? Did he complain immediately or did he complain after having an authorized conference with his team?

If the team called the timeout to get the player off the field, then yes, I would have to agree with the coach. The BJ should have stopped the clock and given the player an opportunity to leave the field if he saw that the player wasn't going to be able to get off and get a substitute on.

Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

PS - Just remember that if the ready to play whistle was not delayed for the bleeding player to leave the game, he could return after the timeout.

[This message has been edited by BktBallRef (edited September 11, 2000).]
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

There are situations where a coach will WANT to take a TO to get his player off the field. If the coach takes the TO rather than an officials TO, then the player can come back after the TO. If the TO is an OFFICIAL's TIMEOUT, the player cannot return until the next play is run (even if the team takes a Timeout after the officials timeout). If this is wrong, please correct me. But I believe the case book has several examples of this.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 06:36am
Official Forum Member

Actually the coach claimed he called the time out to get his player off the field. I reality the player was not in any danger of delaying the ball ready for play. He left as soon as the BJ requested. The TO came immediatly after the player actually left the field. I suspected the coach needed something to whine about. The player was able to get off on his own power with out delaying the game. This is the point of contention. Should you stop the clock for an official time out EVERY time you have an equipment failure, or minor injury if the player can exit under his own power in a timely fasion. You know things like this happen all the time. The clock at the time did not happen to be running as it was after an incomplete pass.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

I would signal for an official time out right away when the injured player is noticed during a dead ball.

You got to give the coach a chance to get a substitute in the game.

The coach should not have to take a time out to replace an injured player.

AJ

[This message has been edited by ajkottke (edited September 12, 2000).]
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Yes i beleive that is correct.coach calling timeout would get the player back on the field before the next snap.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'm beggining to see the nessesity in calling the officials time out regardless of the situation. The coach should be give the option of replacing the player immediatly or calling a time out, tending to his player, and getting him back in the game. I think the back judge saw what he did as keeping the game moving as we had many penaltys and kick offs in this particular game. Final score was 36 to 23. Made a mistake that won't happen again.
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by mikesears:
There are situations where a coach will WANT to take a TO to get his player off the field. If the coach takes the TO rather than an officials TO, then the player can come back after the TO. If the TO is an OFFICIAL's TIMEOUT, the player cannot return until the next play is run (even if the team takes a Timeout after the officials timeout). If this is wrong, please correct me. But I believe the case book has several examples of this.

Mike,

You are correct. The simplest, most important thing to remember is that if the offical stops the clock and delays the ready to play whistle, the player MUST go out for at least one play. This is a requirement whether it is an equipment issue or an injury.

Tony
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

The white hat has to more involved on all injuries. Equipment problems can be solved quickly sometimes. On injuries, I always called an official t.o. and I had my flank officials watch his team for any illegal subs. If a coach then wants a t.o. then sub. rules apply.
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

I have done a little research and discovered that he will not be able to get his man back in the game before a play is run weather he calls a time out or not. If the injury is discovered by an official the player MUST sit out at least one play. The calling of a time out to get his player back in before the game continues is a basketball rule I believe!
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

That could be, I know I have seen it in basketball but i do not think I have seen in high school football.?
Old Fri Sep 22, 2000, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Cannot buy his way back in with a t.o.
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

In football, if the ready whistle is delayed, he must sit out one play.

In basketball, if play is stopped AND a coach or trainer is beckoned, the player must leave the game. If ANY player leaves the game, for injury or for illegal equipment or apparel, etc., he cannot re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly.

A team timeout cannot buy the player back into the game in either sport.

[Edited by BktBallRef on Sep 23rd, 2000 at 01:27 AM]
Old Sat Sep 23, 2000, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

The rules are diffrent in college and pro's because I think I have seen teams take a timeout so the player can stay in the game