The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 25, 2000, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Back in October there was a play posted on this discussion board regarding an illegal kick by A from their own endzone. I'll quote the original post as it was written and then summarize the replies.

PLAY:
"4th and 15 at A's 2-yardline. A is lined up in scrimmage kick (punt) formation. The snap is low and A2 muffs the snap. The ball is on the ground when A2 kicks the ball from the A's endzone out of bounds at A's 19-yardline. Using the Fed. rule book, what do we have? A penalty or is it just B's ball at the 19 yardline."

Based on the replies to this play, the concensus was that accepting the penalty would result in a safety by A and they would then freekick from their own 20. Or B could decline the penalty for illegal kicking and take the ball at the 19-yardline.
I believe the responses for this particular penalty have only been correct in so far as penalty acceptance is concerned. I believe we are mistaken as to the effects of declining the penalty for illegal kicking. I don't have my rule book with me, but if I remember correctly there is a rule that says when a ball is loose following an illegal kick, it is treated as a fumble. This means that if B declines the penalty for illegal kicking, then the results of the play stand. The results of the play are that a fumble (a loose ball after an illegal kick in this case) went out of bounds. When a fumble goes out of bounds the team last in possession retains possession at the out of bounds spot. This would mean that it is A's ball at the 19-yardline. Since it was 4th and 15 from the 2, the ball now belongs to A at the 19 which is beyond the line to gain, therefore 1st and 10 for A at the 19. B would obviously accept the penalty resulting in a safety and have A freekick from the 20 yardline.
I could be mistaken but I believe this is the correct ruling. If not, let me hear about it.

Old Mon May 01, 2000, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

I don't have a football rulebook handy right now, but I'm pretty sure that B will accept the penalty at this point, assuming that it is properly explained to them.
Old Fri May 05, 2000, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am relatively new to officiating football so someone please explain this to me. Team A lines up in PUNT formation and the kicker mishandles the snap (Muff). Is it now illegal for the Kicker to punt the ball? If so, can you point me to the rule in the manual?

Thanks!

------------------
Mike S.
ILLINIOS
Old Fri May 05, 2000, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Mike S.

The illegal portion of the play comes when the ball is kicked while it is loose on the ground. The punter can't just kick at the ball to keep the defense from covering it. The ball must be in position to be kicked for it to be a legal kick. The same would be true on a field goal attempt. If the holder mishandles the snap and is fumbling with it on the ground, the kicker cannot kick it until the holder has control of it. Even if the kicker kicked at it while it was loose on the ground and it went thru the uprights, the field goal would not count if the defense accepted the penalty for illegal kicking. It would be 15 yards back from the spot of the illegal kick and they would get to replay the down.
Old Fri May 12, 2000, 11:40pm
tpaul

Exclamation

quote:
Originally posted by TwinSears:
I am relatively new to officiating football so someone please explain this to me. Team A lines up in PUNT formation and the kicker mishandles the snap (Muff). Is it now illegal for the Kicker to punt the ball? If so, can you point me to the rule in the manual?

Thanks!

The rule is covered in 9-7 Art 1,2,3,4.
look at Art 2 "in flight"..Is a key term for your ruling.

Old Fri May 12, 2000, 11:45pm
tpaul

Also note that in the case book 9-7-1B under ruling reads: "The kick is illegal and the resulting loose ball is treated as a fumble. Normal kicking rules and restrictions are not in effect during an illegal kick."
Old Fri May 12, 2000, 11:55pm
tpaul

Question

Try this one it's simular. See if you agree on the play/ruling.

Play:
On a field-goal attempt, holder K2 muffs the snap and is attempting to gain possession of the ball on the gound when K1 kicks it between the uprights over the crossbar.

Ruling:
An illegal kick by K1. If the penalty is declined, the result of the play is a touchback as the illegal kick cannot score a field goal. 2-23-7

TwinSears...hope these things can help you out....AS I'm still learning myself..
Old Tue May 23, 2000, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys.

This was my original post last October. The rulings you guys came up with look right.

This discussion board comes in handy.
Old Mon Jun 05, 2000, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you all. I now understand that the ball was considered loose and not in possession of the kicker. Love this forum and glad to have guys who can provide assistance with difficult questions!

------------------
Mike S.
ILLINIOS