The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Please list any fouls and options you will present to offended captain. Also list status of the clock after play.

NOTE:
All plays are 1/10 @ A-20. In all plays A7 drops back to pass.

Play 1:Under a heavy rush, he moves forwad to the A-20 where he throws a forward pass to A-87. As A7 throws the forward pass, his front foot is in the air but beyond the neutral zone. The pass falls incomplete.

Play 2: As he drops back to pass, ineligible linemen A55,A56, and A57 advance beyond the neutral zone. A7 throws a forward pass to A23 at the A-18 yardline. After A23 catches the pass, the lineman block downfield and A23 is downed at the A-40.

Play 3: Same as #2 except ineligibles begin blocking downfield BEFORE pass is caught by A23.

Play 4: Same as #3, except the A23 muffs the attempted catch and the ball lands incomplete at the A-22.

Old Thu May 22, 2003, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

ok here goes....no rules in front of me, as I am still working basketball camps....and haven't gotten into football mindset yet. So bear with me....

Play 1....2nd 10 from A20 clock on the snap...reasoning, no advantage, and really tough to see foot in air over the line with wing guys working down field and U and R not having good angles for location of "hovering" foot.

Plays 2-4 help me here, isn't one of the requirements for ineligble reciever that a forward pass cross the neutral zone?? I am using that assumption here so I have nothing in 2 so 1st 10 at A40 clock on the snap.

3 I am using the same logic again with OPI pass must cross the neutral zone....so again nothing... 1st 10 A40 clock on the snap.

4 since the muffed pass crosses the neutral zone OPI and Ineligible recievers down field. defensive options are A 1st 15 from A 15 or 2nd 10 from A10 both cases clock on the snap......

please correct me if my original assumption is incorrect...which is about a 95% possibility today....
Old Thu May 22, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
ok here goes....no rules in front of me, as I am still working basketball camps....and haven't gotten into football mindset yet. So bear with me....

Play 1....2nd 10 from A20 clock on the snap...reasoning, no advantage, and really tough to see foot in air over the line with wing guys working down field and U and R not having good angles for location of "hovering" foot.

Yep, if any official makes this call he is going to have some explaining to do. The point I wanted to make was that "technically" this is an illegal forwad pass because a foot was beyond the neutral zone. But I like your real life application and agree with NOT calling this.

Old Fri May 23, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
Please list any fouls and options you will present to offended captain. Also list status of the clock after play.
Calling all of these as I would in a game. No rules.
to look at in front of me.

NOTE:
All plays are 1/10 @ A-20. In all plays A7 drops back to pass.

Play 1:Under a heavy rush, he moves forwad to the A-20 where he throws a forward pass to A-87. As A7 throws the forward pass, his front foot is in the air but beyond the neutral zone. The pass falls incomplete.

*** No call here. It is ill fwd pass, but, tough to judge unless right on top of play a foot in the air. My call: 2/10 A-20. Clock on snap.

Play 2: As he drops back to pass, ineligible linemen A55,A56, and A57 advance beyond the neutral zone. A7 throws a forward pass to A23 at the A-18 yardline. After A23 catches the pass, the lineman block downfield and A23 is downed at the A-40.

****TO be inel, pass crosses NZ. Since it did not no penality here. 1/10- A-40, clock on ready.

Play 3: Same as #2 except ineligibles begin blocking downfield BEFORE pass is caught by A23.

**** Same logic as above. Pass does not cross NZ, there fore no penality. 1/10 a-40. clock ready.

Play 4: Same as #3, except the A23 muffs the attempted catch and the ball lands incomplete at the A-22.

**** Incomplete pass. It was fwd, but again, no penality since not across NZ. 2/10 A-20. Clock snap.

So, how did I do?

Old Fri May 23, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

sm_bbcoach...check #4

In #4, the pass actually did cross the NZ after being touched behind the NZ by a team A player. In Federation rules, you technically have two fouls: one for the ineligibles downfield, and a second foul for OPI. [Note: If the touch behind the NZ had been by team B, then there would have been no fouls.] In NCAA rules, there is a foul for the ineligibles downfield [7-3-10], but the restriction on contact (pass) interference is lifted when the pass is touched by any player [7-3-9b].