The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2000, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

National Federation has passed a rule where we now can enforce a five yard penalty for a face mask violation. The fifteen yard penalty is the same except there is no automatic first down involved. Anyone like this new rule. I do.
Old Wed Mar 29, 2000, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

This rule puts more responsibility on the official to use judgement in determining what is or isn't excessive. I do like this new rule. Do you have the other rule changes for the upcoming year?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2000, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

I agree I do not like it it will cause more judgement calls and will make it hard dealing with coaches who think it should have been the other call.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2000, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

I think I like it. If some kid grabs a facemask accidently, and lots go right away without really affecting the play you don't have to give him a major penalty.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2000, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Changes of importance is towels are now 4"x12" to 18"x36".
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I think their are two sides involving the new facemask rule.
One is that new officials may have a harder time discriminating between 5 and 15. I have not read the new ruling completely, so I hope that there will be a provision allowing "when in doubt." Second, by having the 15 yard penalty, the National Federation sent a strong message against getting the hands anywhere near the facemask or other helmet opening, which was a nice side effect in dealing with safety.

Having said that, I am in favor of the new rule. There have been times in the past, when I have flagged a player 15 yards for a hand placed on the facemask and completely changed the situation of the game as far as down and distance. Furthermore, this rule allows players to compete to their fullest.

As far as the towel rules goes, wouldn't be nice if the rule read, "if the official deems that the player is attempting to show-off, attract attention, dress differently or in any other way make a spectacle of themselves, the player should be promptly clubbed and skinned and replaced with a player who only wants to play because he loves the game...hehehe (of course I am kidding).

Erick Watson
Medford, OR
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

I havve net yet made up my mind about the 5/15 face mask. If safety is really a concern it should always be 15. However, some fouls just are not flagrant enough. I will wait until I've worked some games before I decide if I agree with the new rule.

As for towels, stupid rule to begin with.

Now the jersey tucked rule needs work. This top of the pants clause makes it hard to deal with. They should just mandate all shirts tucked, period.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

I am in favor of the 5/15 facemask rule. As an umpire I've seen many quick dive plays where, as the defense is gang tackling the runner, someone inadvertently has his hand on the facemask but does not twist,pull or use the facemask to make the tackle. I virtually always call this when I see it but have always felt that this situation was better suited for a 5 yard penalty instead of 15. The kids know that the facemask is off limits so they shouldn't be anywhere near it, but if no advantage is gained by the defense and it was purely accidental then I've always felt that 15 yards was to severe.
Hopefully this won't be a major change for the players or coaches but I think it will more accurately administer what actually happens in game situations. I agree there should be some guidelines as to a "when in doubt" situation if for no other reason than to keep the burden on the players to STAY AWAY FROM THE FACEMASK.

Old Tue Apr 25, 2000, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Being relatively new to the sport, I think this will make a difference in the number of facemask penalties called. Follow this link for the press release about the new rules

I believe this new rule will make a difference in the number of facemask penalties called. It could be difficult to know what variety this penalty is (5/15) but we face that challenge with other types of calls.

I won't knock it until I've tried it.

------------------
Mike S.
ILLINIOS
Old Thu May 04, 2000, 05:31pm
tpaul

Exclamation

I think the 5/15 face mask may help but I don't see to may players accidently grab a face mask.