The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating two sports concurrently

Hello, I've recently become interested in becoming an official. I played football from 3rd grade through high school and spend all weekend watching football. So needless to say, since I already understand the game real well, I thought I'd like to be a football official. However, I've also learned a lot about volleyball as my daughter just finished her last season so I've been watching volleyball for some years. I decided I'd like to officiate both but then I realized that the seasons run concurrently. Does anyone know if this is doable? I'd just like to get some feedback from some veterans out there. Thanks in advance.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 06:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

HAHA That you think watching on the weekend means much. Funny stuff.

Sure you can do both. One will get more than 50% of your attention though.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

It's possible to officiate volleyball and football concurrently, but in my area, you will have conflicts on assignments. As a new official, you will get sub-varsity--i.e. junior high volleyball matches and football games that are typically scheduled on the some days at the same times. Because of the choices that must be made, it will hinder your growth (based on number of experiences) in one of the sports.

The officials that I work with that are multi-sport officials, recommend working only one sport for the first year to get experience before branching out to other sports.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 06:53pm
Official Forum Member

Right, I suppose that concentrating on a one sport or the other makes sense since I am a noob. It's good to know it's doable though, thanks for the response...
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Oh, you meant concurrent seasons. When I read "two sports concurrently", I thought it meant, you know, firing the starting pistol for the swimming race, then turning around to officiate the wrestling match, glancing over to the pool to watch for illegal turns, etc.
Old Mon Nov 21, 2011, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssp2979 View Post
Hello, I've recently become interested in becoming an official. I played football from 3rd grade through high school and spend all weekend watching football.
Honestly, those things won't mean very much at all with regard to officiating.

Quote:
So needless to say, since I already understand the game real well, I thought I'd like to be a football official. However, I've also learned a lot about volleyball as my daughter just finished her last season so I've been watching volleyball for some years. I decided I'd like to officiate both but then I realized that the seasons run concurrently. Does anyone know if this is doable? I'd just like to get some feedback from some veterans out there. Thanks in advance.
When can't really answer those questions since each area is different. You would need to decide which sport is primary and which sport is secondary. Then, you would need to talk to both individuals who do the assigning. That would determine whether you could work both.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 12:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Hello, I've recently become interested in becoming an official. I played football from 3rd grade through high school and spend all weekend watching football. So needless to say, since I already understand the game real well, I thought I'd like to be a football official.
How long you played or been around the game means nothing as an official. Your time around the game can be a blessing or a curse. You will either realize that soon or it will take you awhile to learn that as playing the game does not mean you will understand the rules or the role of the officials.

Quote:
However, I've also learned a lot about volleyball as my daughter just finished her last season so I've been watching volleyball for some years. I decided I'd like to officiate both but then I realized that the seasons run concurrently. Does anyone know if this is doable? I'd just like to get some feedback from some veterans out there. Thanks in advance.
Well many multiple sport officials have games that overlap in season and out of season. I work 3 sports, but football and basketball overlap all the time. Between the summer camps and even working in the post season for football it is not unusual to work both sports at the same time. I have worked basketball games since early October and this week I will be fortunate to work every day this week other than Thanksgiving day with 4 games in basketball and one football game. It can be done and it is done often. Even if you work a lot of Junior High, Middle School or even Men's leagues many of that is in the fall and runs during football season. You just have to manage your schedule and keep up with the rules.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:27am
TODO: creative title here

+1 to the 'start with one sport and add the second one in a couple of years' crowd.

I also played football in high school and college. I even played on a semi-pro team for a few years before becoming an official. The first time I actually read the rule book (after registering to officiate for the first time), I very quickly learned that knowing the rules as a player/fan/coach is a VERY different thing then knowing the rules as an official.

Don't let that discourage you though.... new officials are always welcome in my book.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 10:41am

I disagree with Rut and the others who say being around the sport is of no help when it comes to officiating. There are some benefits (knowledge of the game, seeing how the game is played, noticing in a general sense of what is "normal" in terms of game management and flow, etc.).

In other words, you are way ahead of someone who's never seen a football game. (Believe me, I've seen those types try and officiate. I saw a first-time baseball umpire show up to his first game with a whistle!)

With that being said, don't think for a second that your time around the game (whether playing or spectating) is going to give you much of a leg-up when it comes to officiating.

When you enter the world of officiating, come in with an open mind and a willingness to learn and work hard. My advice: don't come in believing you know a lot about the game(s), because you're just about to find out how little you really know. Best of luck to you!
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:05am
Do not give a damn!!

RadioBlue,

I did not say it would be no help, I said it could be a hindrance when first trying to get over all the myths that players/coaches have when they become an official.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
+1 to the 'start with one sport and add the second one in a couple of years' crowd.
I started all my sports in the same year. I think that you can learn many game management or conflict resolutions skills from the other sports. While others had a complete off season to work on those things, I could move onto the next season and work on the same skills. At least for me it made my experience level in each sport shoot through the roof compared to those that only had to work one sport. So I find nothing wrong with working multiple sports at the beginning if you have the time and the passion for them.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:31am
TODO: creative title here

2 sports in consecutive seasons, perhaps. (Football, then basketball, then baseball)...

Starting football & volleyball at the same time... that would be more difficult from a rules mastery standpoint.

A quick example of "knowing the rules as an official" vs "knowing the rules as a player": why does the kicker kick the ball into the ground in the vast majority of onside kick attempts? As a player, I had no idea why we did that... once I started reading the rulebook as an official, I read the free kick rules and had the lightbulb "A-ha, that's why it's done that way" moment.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:39am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
2 sports in consecutive seasons, perhaps. (Football, then basketball, then baseball)...

Starting football & volleyball at the same time... that would be more difficult from a rules mastery standpoint.
Those sports you just mentioned are running basically at the same time in many ways. I worked JH basketball during my first football season. I worked basketball during the baseball season. And during the summer under the right situation you can work all 3 (especially now). Also volleyball here can run in the fall and spring based on gender or club and youth games.

Also mastery of the rules comes with time, not in one or two seasons. As a football official I am still learning to master the rules and this was will be the end of my 16th season. There are things I have yet to see or when I see them I have to think through the rules. Football has the most difficult rules as they change and each level is so different. You also have to know more than rules, you better know the mechanics or your rules knowledge will not be applied properly.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
I disagree with Rut and the others who say being around the sport is of no help when it comes to officiating. There are some benefits (knowledge of the game, seeing how the game is played, noticing in a general sense of what is "normal" in terms of game management and flow, etc.).

In other words, you are way ahead of someone who's never seen a football game. (Believe me, I've seen those types try and officiate. I saw a first-time baseball umpire show up to his first game with a whistle!)

With that being said, don't think for a second that your time around the game (whether playing or spectating) is going to give you much of a leg-up when it comes to officiating.

When you enter the world of officiating, come in with an open mind and a willingness to learn and work hard. My advice: don't come in believing you know a lot about the game(s), because you're just about to find out how little you really know. Best of luck to you!
The one thing that aggravates me is that coaches and casual fans think that people "that played the game" simply make better officials. I've heard some say that leagues should simply hire former players because "they understand and know the game."

You know what? There are some good/great ex-player officials. But they are great not because they played the game, but because they put the time and effort into learning how to officiate.
Old Tue Nov 22, 2011, 11:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also mastery of the rules comes with time, not in one or two seasons. As a football official I am still learning to master the rules and this was will be the end of my 16th season. There are things I have yet to see or when I see them I have to think through the rules. Football has the most difficult rules as they change and each level is so different. You also have to know more than rules, you better know the mechanics or your rules knowledge will not be applied properly.
Football rules are certainly complex. And football is the only sport where some officials feel they don't really need to know the rules or enforcements because there's someone on the field wearing the white hat -- it's his job.

I have always been a rules wonk, but I never *really* learned the rules well until I became a white hat on a Friday night about 8 years ago. The last thing I want is to have to guess or have to make something up, so I spend the entire season and a lot of the offseason with my nose buried in the football books. I spend more time working on football rules than on the rules of all the other sports I work combined (and probably double that).

I've always used that as an excuse for not wanting to work college football, but to be honest having to keep the two rules sets straight means I really need to know both of them very well. It's a win-win for me.