The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Looking forward to the new season, and along with that, introducing new officials to the joys of our noble hobby/profession.

Our association has a couple of guys that do our formal training. They spend classroom time discussing rules and mechanics. Then we all work with them during the scrimmages showing them positioning, mechanics, talk rules, and show them their area of coverage on various plays. We do a fair job in this area. Then, it just takes some miles on the field.

The area that interests me the most is to develop a mentoring program where some of the seasoned guys (with patience) work with the new guys. I've volunteered to take 2-3 of the new guys and call them once a week to discuss rules, answer questions, and even meet if necessary to do nothing but focus on them becoming better officials.

I guess I always wished that I had someone I could have counted on to ask "dumb" questions when I started. Now, I would like to give a little something back.

What kind of formal or informal mentoring programs do you guys use?
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Our chapter has a 'Big Brother' program in which all interested varsity officials are asked in August if they would like to take on a new or 2nd year official and be their answer man, sounding board and advice giver. When I was new, I had one (didn't really see him that much but we would talk occasionally, and now I have a (going into his) 3rd year guy who's doing really well. I try to do games (sub varsity) with him and I'll try to get scheduled on varsity games with him this year as that's the next step for third year guys in our chapter - they work linesman only. We trade e mails on rules and mechanics - keeps me sharper than I would be, and stumps me on some situations that I never would have thought of.

If you don't have guys that make themselves available, its a non-starter. But if you're like most officials I know, they're more than willing to answer any question to help out guys who we all need to be competent by the time they get to varsity.
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

AB,

Thanks for the info. That's exactly what I was interested in. Our problem is a bit of "cronism" and old boy network, so getting this to move forward will take a little push. But I'm intent on getting this going!
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

my old chpater back north--
the Syracuse Chapter of
NY Certified Football Officials
has been operating a mentoring
program for several years-----
if you can contact them
they might have some ideas for
your efforts !
Old Thu Apr 10, 2003, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

ps--
you can e-mail me at
[email protected]
and I'll give you a contact person
who could link you up to the
chairman of the program in
Syracuse.
Old Sat Apr 12, 2003, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JMN
Looking forward to the new season, and along with that, introducing new officials to the joys of our noble hobby/profession.

Our association has a couple of guys that do our formal training. They spend classroom time discussing rules and mechanics. Then we all work with them during the scrimmages showing them positioning, mechanics, talk rules, and show them their area of coverage on various plays. We do a fair job in this area. Then, it just takes some miles on the field.

The area that interests me the most is to develop a mentoring program where some of the seasoned guys (with patience) work with the new guys. I've volunteered to take 2-3 of the new guys and call them once a week to discuss rules, answer questions, and even meet if necessary to do nothing but focus on them becoming better officials.

I guess I always wished that I had someone I could have counted on to ask "dumb" questions when I started. Now, I would like to give a little something back.

What kind of formal or informal mentoring programs do you guys use?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~
Being a 2 year official, our assc. assigns us to crews. The top 5 are the Varsity crew, other 3 are sub V. Head guru whips up these 125 question study guides. We all meet at somebodys home(usually with a nice spred) and spend an evening or two going over it. Meeting comes and all of us go over the correct answers and discuss the tricky ones and how they should be ruled. We also have a field clinic, basics(such as relaying the ball back to U) are gone over, formations are explained and game management(for the wingers) are very well covered.

But basically, if your crew and crew chief want to mentor they do, mine does....some don't...the good ol boy system,(don't tread on me asttitude) But, it does have it's benefits! My Varsity Umpire( I am LJ or HL) started working baseball( I am Varsity level for a number of years) and I help him on the diamond and he helps me on the gridiron, way cool!!!!

Got a letter form the guru about study sessions coming up, I will be there..........chris