The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   safety or touchdown (https://forum.officiating.com/football/81622-safety-touchdown.html)

ajjl22 Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:38am

safety or touchdown

This is a play my crew has had a disagreement about for a couple of weeks (it is not even a play that happened to us, just a hypothetical one of us brought up in a pre-game).

Situation: 4th and 15 from K’s 10. the ball is snapped and goes over K1’s head into the endzone. K1 and R1 simultaneously recover the ball in the endzone. What is the end result of the play?

My ruling would be safety, but our BJ and U think it should be a TD for R. If you could include a rules citation or a case play I would appreciate it.

Thanks

mbyron Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:49am

A kick that is jointly possessed belongs to R (6-1-5, 6-2-7), but your situation describes a muffed snap and not a kick. So a joint recovery belongs to K. The result of your play is a safety (7-4-3c).

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 791120)
A kick that is jointly possessed belongs to R (6-1-5, 6-2-7), but your situation describes a muffed snap and not a kick. So a joint recovery belongs to K. The result of your play is a safety (7-4-3c).

Right -- i.e. I know what you mean -- but the designations "K" & "R" shouldn't even be used because there was no kick. The ball at the moment of joint recovery belonged to the offense.

mbyron Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 791132)
Right -- i.e. I know what you mean -- but the designations "K" & "R" shouldn't even be used because there was no kick. The ball at the moment of joint recovery belonged to the offense.

If you're going to be picky about that, you should be picky about the term 'offense', which is defined as the team in possession of the ball. During a scramble for a loose ball, there is no offense. Team A was last in possession, which gives them possession after a joint recovery. :p

Texas Aggie Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:57am

That's why we use Team A and B, not offense and defense or kicking team or receiving team.

NCAA: safety.

mbyron Sun Oct 02, 2011 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 791135)
That's why we use Team A and B, not offense and defense or kicking team or receiving team.

NCAA: safety.

OK, but you can't state 'all but one' correctly without distinguishing the offense from A. ;)

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 791134)
If you're going to be picky about that, you should be picky about the term 'offense', which is defined as the team in possession of the ball. During a scramble for a loose ball, there is no offense. Team A was last in possession, which gives them possession after a joint recovery. :p

That's not true. The offense remains the offense until there's a change of team possession. Team possession continues while the ball is loose.

JugglingReferee Mon Oct 03, 2011 04:14am

Canadian Ruling

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjl22 (Post 791119)
This is a play my crew has had a disagreement about for a couple of weeks (it is not even a play that happened to us, just a hypothetical one of us brought up in a pre-game).

Situation: 4th and 15 from K’s 10. the ball is snapped and goes over K1’s head into the endzone. K1 and R1 simultaneously recover the ball in the endzone. What is the end result of the play?

My ruling would be safety, but our BJ and U think it should be a TD for R. If you could include a rules citation or a case play I would appreciate it.

Thanks

CANADIAN RULING:

Safety.

Welpe Mon Oct 03, 2011 09:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 791243)
That's not true. The offense remains the offense until there's a change of team possession.

Actually, there is always an offense and always a defense. The offense is whichever team is in possession of the ball. This is an important distinction for all-but-one / 3-and-1 enforcement.

cdoug Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 791120)

My initial reaction was that you're right, and I still think that, but am having an issue with the wording of the rule. So, if someone can help me wrap my head around this I'd appreciate it.

7-4-3(c): ...The ball belongs to the passing or fumbling team unless lost after fourth down if a fumble or backward pass: (c) becomes dead inbounds while opponents are in joint possession.

The "after fourth down" part is what I think I'm having the issue with. This is not "after fourth down" because it's still part of the fourth down play?

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdoug (Post 791559)
My initial reaction was that you're right, and I still think that, but am having an issue with the wording of the rule. So, if someone can help me wrap my head around this I'd appreciate it.

7-4-3(c): ...The ball belongs to the passing or fumbling team unless lost after fourth down if a fumble or backward pass: (c) becomes dead inbounds while opponents are in joint possession.

The "after fourth down" part is what I think I'm having the issue with. This is not "after fourth down" because it's still part of the fourth down play?

Of course. What down is it when all this happens? Fourth. Is fourth after fourth? No (unless it's Col vs Missou).

Obviously, if they recover the football on fourth down (and don't meet the LTG), then AFTER fourth down they will not have possession of the ball.

cdoug Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:49pm

Ok. That's what I was thinking but got hung up on the wording. :o

Thanks!