The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Old HS Timing Rules (https://forum.officiating.com/football/81562-old-hs-timing-rules.html)

McMac Fri Sep 30, 2011 08:38pm

Old HS Timing Rules

This may be a stupid question for some of you, but this is my first year doing HS football. I also work with a Pop Warner league, but they use the "old" timing rules, but I do not know what that exactly means in terms of when the clock starts and stops. Can any of you help me out with this?

Thanks in advance.

HLin NC Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:13pm

The "old" timing rules were that if you had a change of possession not involving a kick, i.e. 4th down punt with recovery by R, the clock started on the ready for play, not the snap.

Rich Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HLin NC (Post 790950)
The "old" timing rules were that if you had a change of possession not involving a kick, i.e. 4th down punt with recovery by R, the clock started on the ready for play, not the snap.

If the play ended inbounds.

BktBallRef Sat Oct 01, 2011 01:05am

Our JV and middle school timing rules:

On a change of possession, the clock starts on the ready unless the previous play ended OOB or with an incomplete pass.

Robert Goodman Sat Oct 01, 2011 05:12pm

How old?

BktBallRef Sat Oct 01, 2011 08:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 791032)
How old?

Probably mid-90's before they made that stupid rule change the prolongs games unnecessarily. :mad:

McMac Sat Oct 01, 2011 09:37pm

With this Pop Warner league, (except Tiny Mites), they run 4- 10 minute quarters and schedule games every 90 minutes. So the clock needs to run more than with the current rule set for Fed.

McMac Sat Oct 01, 2011 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 791058)
Probably mid-90's before they made that stupid rule change the prolongs games unnecessarily. :mad:

Lets put it this way, I wasn't even in HS in the mid-90s.

Forksref Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 791058)

I'd say '93 or '94, not later. I remember it by the crew that I was with at the time.

Rich Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 791078)
I'd say '93 or '94, not later. I remember it by the crew that I was with at the time.

I'm guessing a couple of years after this, maybe 1996 or so.

Edited to add: I guessed well -- it appears to be 1996:

http://football.refs.org/rules/NFrules5.html

Robert Goodman Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 791066)

That's irrelevant. What matters is what the person meant who told you they use "old" timing rules. And did he mean Fed's old timing rules, or Pop Warner's old timing rules?

30+ yrs. ago I know Pop Warner was using modifications over Fed regarding what were then Fed's timing rules.

McMac Sun Oct 02, 2011 04:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 791131)
That's irrelevant. What matters is what the person meant who told you they use "old" timing rules. And did he mean Fed's old timing rules, or Pop Warner's old timing rules?

By what I've been told, it is the old Fed timing rules.

I only bring up my age, because them saying the "old" timing rules doesn't tell me what those rules are when I have never officiated under those rules like the officials who told me it was the "old" rules, or like officials on this board. Hence why I came asking what those rules are.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 02, 2011 05:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 791176)
By what I've been told, it is the old Fed timing rules.

I only bring up my age, because them saying the "old" timing rules doesn't tell me what those rules are when I have never officiated under those rules like the officials who told me it was the "old" rules, or like officials on this board. Hence why I came asking what those rules are.

After a change of possession, start the clock on the ready, unless the previous play was an incomplete pass or ended OOB. I have all ideas that's what they were talking about. Good luck!

McMac Sun Oct 02, 2011 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 791179)
After a change of possession, start the clock on the ready, unless the previous play was an incomplete pass or ended OOB. I have all ideas that's what they were talking about. Good luck!

This PW league has thrown me in as a WH, so that is how I ran it this week. I WH'ed in college in FLAG football, but this is my first year working TACKLE football, so being behind the play is not new, its still trying to master the rules of tackle football, which I feel are getting better each week as I study more and have more game experiences. (On MS/JV nights I work as a linesman.)

Tom.OH Tue Oct 04, 2011 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMac (Post 791066)

Me either, I had been out 22 years!:)