The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Ball on the 1 or touchback???? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/81458-ball-1-touchback.html)

zebra14 Thu Sep 29, 2011 02:59pm

Ball on the 1 or touchback????

Play last week.
K Punt from the 50. Ball bounces down to the 1, R is not near the ball to return it. The ball becomes at Rest for 1 1/2 seconds. K2 comes sliding in to down the ball but but his mometum carries it into the endzone. We then have the whistle of the play being dead.

I have heard 2 different rulings.

1. Ball at the 1 because the ball was at Rest so that means the play is dead right there.

2. Touchback as there was a force to bring it into the endzone.

Thoughts?

InsideTheStripe Thu Sep 29, 2011 03:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebra14 (Post 790586)
Play last week.
K Punt from the 50. Ball bounces down to the 1, R is not near the ball to return it. The ball becomes at Rest for 1 1/2 seconds. K2 comes sliding in to down the ball but but his mometum carries it into the endzone. We then have the whistle of the play being dead.

1. Ball at the 1 because the ball was at Rest so that means the play is dead right there.

Thoughts?

NFHS

4-2-2 The ball becomes dead and the down is ended:

(f) When the kickers catch or recover any free kick anywhere, and when the kickers catch or recover a scrimmage kick beyond the neutral zone and when the kickers are first (i.e., before any touching by the receivers) to touch a scrimmage kick after it has come to rest beyond the neutral zone and between the goal lines.

The ball was dead at the 1 as soon as he touched the ball at rest. First and 10 for R from the 1 yard line.

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 29, 2011 03:47pm

Quote:

Play last week.

Thoughts?

Assuming not NFL, you have the right ruling (1), but not the right reason. A ball at rest is not dead unless the official also believes no one is going to play on it. As stated by Inside, though, once K touches that resting ball, it IS dead.

Probably not an important distinction until you have that Mud Bowl game where R is actually still heading toward a bounding punt that goes PLUNK and sticks "at rest". R, if they are still trying to, can still pick up this ball.

mbyron Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:20pm

Quote:

Play last week.

Thoughts?

If the ball is absolutely motionless and K does this, then you have no choice but to rule it dead on K's touch. The rule has already been cited.

However, if the ball is moving the least little bit, then your question is live again. The ruling should be:

1. First touching by K at the 1, and then
2. K muffs the kick into the endzone, which results in a touchback.

R would have the choice between taking the ball at the spot of first touching and taking the result of the play. I wouldn't bother offering them this choice: just spot the ball at the 20 and play on, 1st and 10.

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:34pm

Quote:

If the ball had not come to rest, you would have to rule on whether K2 gained possession of it while it was still in the field of play.

asdf Fri Sep 30, 2011 06:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 790632)
If the ball had not come to rest, you would have to rule on whether K2 gained possession of it while it was still in the field of play.

...and of course, when K2 comes sliding in to down the ball, you are going to rule possession immediately because the ball is close to his body......

Never mind that it squirts out and into the EZ. :rolleyes:

Robert Goodman Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 790730)
...and of course, when K2 comes sliding in to down the ball, you are going to rule possession immediately because the ball is close to his body......

No, only because it's on his body, sandwiched with the ground.

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 790813)
No, only because it's on his body, sandwiched with the ground.

So ... you've reversed your opinion from the other thread?

tomes1978 Fri Sep 30, 2011 01:18pm

I disagree, I say it's a touchback. The kick does not end unless it is possessed or dead by rule. The ball does not become dead until it is at rest and nobody is pursuing the ball. I explained to a kid a couple weeks back in a Junior High game who was on the kicking team. The ball stopped and he ran up and touched it and ran away from it. I explained to him that his touching did not kill that play. If R wanted to they could have ran up and picked that ball up with nothing to loose, as R could always take the spot of first touching.

MNBlue Fri Sep 30, 2011 01:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomes1978 (Post 790855)
I disagree, I say it's a touchback. The kick does not end unless it is possessed or dead by rule. The ball does not become dead until it is at rest and nobody is pursuing the ball. I explained to a kid a couple weeks back in a Junior High game who was on the kicking team. The ball stopped and he ran up and touched it and ran away from it. I explained to him that his touching did not kill that play. If R wanted to they could have ran up and picked that ball up with nothing to loose, as R could always take the spot of first touching.

If you are disagreeing with the ball being dead when K touches a motionless ball that has not been touched by R, then you would be wrong.

InsideTheStripe has already quoted the rule that would make your ruling incorrect.

In your situation, if the ball had been MOVING and K merely touched it, then what you explained to him would be right. As it is, you misinformed a young football player and should seek him out to correct your mistake.

Welpe Fri Sep 30, 2011 01:39pm

Quote:

That is correct for NCAA but not for Fed. If K touches a scrimmage kick at rest beyond the neutral zone, the ball is dead.

InsideTheStripe Fri Sep 30, 2011 02:10pm

Quote:

Assuming Indiana kids play under NFHS rules, you're not only wrong as it pertains to the dead ball situation, but wrong when it comes to first touching as well. R can't ALWAYS take the ball at the spot of first touching.

MD Longhorn Fri Sep 30, 2011 03:19pm

Quote:

Disagree all you like, but please take a look at that rule again. You're right if R gets the ball. But not if K does - and specifically your interp is incorrect WRT the OP AND the play you just had in your JH game.

tomes1978 Sat Oct 01, 2011 06:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 790890)
Disagree all you like, but please take a look at that rule again. You're right if R gets the ball. But not if K does - and specifically your interp is incorrect WRT the OP AND the play you just had in your JH game.

I stand corrrected, I see it now. Thanks!!

Robert Goodman Sat Oct 01, 2011 05:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 790836)
So ... you've reversed your opinion from the other thread?

No, that's what I wrote in the other thread.