The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   False Start of Illegal Shift (https://forum.officiating.com/football/81381-false-start-illegal-shift.html)

JasonTX Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 790390)
Rule change this year. 7-1-2-b-5 on page FR-67.

"The offensive team never coming to a one-second stop prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play."

Yep. Those rule changes will catch up to those who don't keep up with them. What kind of pie do you like mbcrowder, or how you like your crow cooked. :D

mbyron Thu Sep 29, 2011 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wisref2 (Post 790350)
Well, actually it is if you want to help someone understand the rule rather than just answering a rule question by quoting the rule (if he understood the rule, he wouldn't be asking the question in the first place!).

Disagree. We don't teach people to understand the rule by teaching them concepts that have nothing to do with those in the rule. "Normally do" and "simulating action at the snap" are unrelated.

We teach people to understand the rule by using video, on-field training, and discussion to show them they types of play that do and do not fall under the prohibition of the rule. That way they learn to recognize "simulating action at the snap" and other concepts in the rules.

Ia-Ref Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:17am

Quote:

"The offensive team never coming to a one-second stop prior to the snap after the ball is ready for play."

Must be a Texas thing. Not NFHS.

bigjohn Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:25am

:eek:

yeha, he said it was NCAA!

APG Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ia-Ref (Post 790495)
Must be a Texas thing. Not NFHS.

Texas uses NCAA rules for football.

paxsonref Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:39am

Thanks for beating me to it Welpe......hmmm, looks like I DO have a clue after all....

MD Longhorn Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonTX (Post 790438)
Yep. Those rule changes will catch up to those who don't keep up with them. What kind of pie do you like mbcrowder, or how you like your crow cooked. :D

Pie, please. Apple if possible. I am not doing football this year for the first time in forever. So --- I apologize both for being wrong and for being kind of a jackwagon about it. :( <--- where's my emoticon for sheepish grin???

bisonlj Thu Sep 29, 2011 01:58pm

Quote:

And the reason for this rule change was so a team scrambling to the ball in the final seconds but never getting set could be guilty of a foul that stops the clock and is subject to a 10-second reduction. Both of these are directly in response to the UNC-UT bowl game last year.

The side effect is the team that breaks the huddle and then snaps the ball before the wideout gets to his position is now a dead ball false start rather than a live ball illegal shift. That's a fair trade off.

paxsonref Thu Sep 29, 2011 03:19pm

No worries mb! We are all here to get better, and besides, I know better than to mess with Texas anyway! :)

Robert Goodman Thu Sep 29, 2011 06:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bisonlj (Post 790573)
And the reason for this rule change was so a team scrambling to the ball in the final seconds but never getting set could be guilty of a foul that stops the clock

Once the ball became dead, wouldn't you stop the clock (if necessary) to present the option to team B and enforce the penalty if chosen? So how does this change affect the status of the clock?

Welpe Thu Sep 29, 2011 08:04pm

Robert, the clock will stop to enforce the penalty but then it will be wound on the ready for play. One of the reasons this was done, as bison said, was to prevent Team A from unfairly scrambling to spike the ball. New this year also to NCAA, there is also a 10 second subtraction from the game clock in this case if there is less than a minute to go in the half and either team commits a foul that stops the clock.

We're not using the 10 second subtraction in Texas HS...yet.

chymechowder Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer (Post 790498)
Texas uses NCAA rules for football.

Massachusetts too.

so texas didn't take the 10 second subtraction, huh? Mass did. but with each side getting 5 timeouts per half, I dont imagine we'll be doing too many runoffs.

Welpe Fri Sep 30, 2011 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chymechowder (Post 790691)

so texas didn't take the 10 second subtraction, huh? Mass did. but with each side getting 5 timeouts per half, I dont imagine we'll be doing too many runoffs.

Nope, guess they decided it wasn't needed at the high school level since we're using the 2005 timing rules anyways.

5 timeouts?! Holy cow, why so many? :eek:

Robert Goodman Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 790640)
New this year also to NCAA, there is also a 10 second subtraction from the game clock in this case if there is less than a minute to go in the half and either team commits a foul that stops the clock.

I can't believe they would want to enforce that against a team which is trying to consume time. Can the time deduction be declined?

APG Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 790821)
I can't believe they would want to enforce that against a team which is trying to consume time. Can the time deduction be declined?

Yes, it can be declined. Just like in the NFL.