The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Syracuse Missed Extra Point

How can officials underneath the goalposts NOT see a ball wide of the upright?
How can a replay official NOT see what everyone else, but the game officials, saw, including the Syracuse fans?
If replay is supposed to correct obvious errors then the debacle in the Carrier Dome yesterday is proof it cannot.

The Big East admits the error.

Pretty embarassing.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Not much that can be said. It was a very bad miss.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 06:05pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

"Proof that it cannot"? Not really. Proof that it won't catch everything? Sure.
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
If replay is supposed to correct obvious errors then the debacle in the Carrier Dome yesterday is proof it cannot.
This statement makes zero chance. Replay has proven itself time and time again to be a positive for the game that have far outweighed the negative...even if for whatever reason it didn't in this game (and we won't find out why the RO didn't correct the error).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 07:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not even see how you miss that unless you are completely not watching. And the fact the replay missed this is just as bad.

Peace
Old Sun Sep 25, 2011, 10:24pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano View Post
How can officials underneath the goalposts NOT see a ball wide of the upright?
How can a replay official NOT see what everyone else, but the game officials, saw, including the Syracuse fans?

The Big East admits the error.

Pretty embarassing.
Welcome back to the person who *only* shows up to rip officials (if you don't believe me, do a search on all his other posts).

Regardless of how bad the call was, why don't you just disappear permanently?
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Toledo wants the Syracuse win vacated, whatever that means. That's a new one, at least to me, for this type of thing. Here's the first paragraph from the Toledo news release, followed by the link.

"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."

UT Requests that Big East Vacate Syracuse's 33-30 Victory Due to Replay Error - University of Toledo Rockets Athletics Official Site - UTRockets.com
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 10:48am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by comical View Post
Toledo wants the Syracuse win vacated, whatever that means. That's a new one, at least to me, for this type of thing. Here's the first paragraph from the Toledo news release, followed by the link.

"TOLEDO, OH - University of Toledo athletic director Mike O'Brien said on Sunday that he has made a formal written request to Mid-American Conference Commissioner Jon Steinbrecher asking that he request the Big East Conference to vacate Syracuse's 33-30 overtime win over Toledo on Saturday and award the victory to the Rockets."

UT Requests that Big East Vacate Syracuse's 33-30 Victory Due to Replay Error - University of Toledo Rockets Athletics Official Site - UTRockets.com
It's a valid request.

Replay will fix minor errors but leave this one the table. No doing anything is a horri-awful ruling.

While the victory may not be able to be awarded to the Rockets, the game should be ruled a tie and definitely not a win to Syracuse.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

This replay official and the Oregon one need to go bowling.

At minimum, they need to dump this replay guy.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 04:01pm
I Bleed Crimson

Here's an update:

Mid-American commissioner Jon Steinbrecher says no way to vacate Syracuse Orange win - ESPN

Interesting comment to the article:
This is exactly why the goal post judges should use the same technique employeed by tennis line judges. Instead of looking to the posts at the kick, and then each other to agree on the call, they should simply look up at their respective post side. If they don't see a ball, they signal good. If they see a ball outside their post, signal bad. If both signal good, the kick is good. If one signals bad, the kick is bad.
Personally, I like the mechanic the way we have it. Have one official signal good and the other no good only generates confusion. They each make their determination, consult, and give the same signal.
Old Mon Sep 26, 2011, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

If the replay official went bowling and he was scorekeeper, he would someone picking up the 7-10 split.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
Here's an update:

Mid-American commissioner Jon Steinbrecher says no way to vacate Syracuse Orange win - ESPN

Interesting comment to the article:
This is exactly why the goal post judges should use the same technique employeed by tennis line judges. Instead of looking to the posts at the kick, and then each other to agree on the call, they should simply look up at their respective post side. If they don't see a ball, they signal good. If they see a ball outside their post, signal bad. If both signal good, the kick is good. If one signals bad, the kick is bad.
Personally, I like the mechanic the way we have it. Have one official signal good and the other no good only generates confusion. They each make their determination, consult, and give the same signal.
Then what you need is a 1-hand signal, same as in the days when only the referee signaled touchdown and the other officials gave no more than a 1 hand (or fist) sign.
Old Tue Sep 27, 2011, 08:49pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Then what you need is a 1-hand signal, same as in the days when only the referee signaled touchdown and the other officials gave no more than a 1 hand (or fist) sign.
We had an official locally who insisted on his crew doing that (he was the R). I once asked him if it was still 1965.
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

When I was a touch judge in rugby I would always call only my post. I didn't care if it made me look completely blind in case I put up my flag because the ball was not outside my post but could've been miles outside the other one, because it would be obvious to the referee, and he was the one whose signal counted for the actual score.