The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Punt blocked, can I punt again? (https://forum.officiating.com/football/80766-punt-blocked-can-i-punt-again.html)

JasonTX Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:34pm

I thought it was a good question. I suspect there are probably quite of few vetaran officials that would be scratching their heads if they seen this happen in their game, wondering if it was legal. Even if he was a new official, one the hardest things a new official has trouble with is finding stuff in the rule book. It took me the better part of my rookie season to be able to find stuff I was looking for, and then the other 10 years trying to remember it all. If I couldn't find something I turned to the forums and asked the question. That's how I learned. I've got no problem with someone asking a "stupid" question because it may lead to other questions that generate some good rules discussions.

RadioBlue Wed Sep 21, 2011 08:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 788592)
You're reading into my post an arrogance that was not there.

Perhaps my error was to assume he was an official ... but I did (given the name REFUMPIRE, and given that this is a website for officials, I don't think that is THAT bad of an assumption).

I guess I just tire of the laziness I see here. If an official needed the answer to that question, there's this great book he can go to to find out the answer. People learning one little tidbit by having people answer such questions - and learn a lot more by finding the answer themselves. (And I think you all know that). Maybe I was brusquer than I needed to be - but that was where my thought process was when posting.

You all are acting as if I'm the first person ever who saw a ridiculously simple question like this one and told the poster to look it up. Rich even alludes to it in his response - that if asked this question at a meeting he'd steer the person toward the book. Obviously ... he'd do it nicer than I did... but the idea is the same even if the manner isn't.

MB:
I'm with the majority here. You were out of line. While possibly not your intention, your response smacked of arrogance and intolerance.

The answer to any question on this forum could be, "Look it up!!" Kinda circumvents the whole idea of a football officiating rules forum, huh?

Perhaps we should only stick to questions about black pants vs. knickers?

MD Longhorn Wed Sep 21, 2011 08:17am

If it was not clear already, I apologize. Let it go.

Robert Goodman Wed Sep 21, 2011 01:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by REFUMPIRE (Post 788550)
Punter gets the kick blocked behind the neutral zone and the ball comes right back to him, can he punt it again? Can you refer me to a rule one way or the other? Thanks!

There's nothing against this in any of the major codes. I even saw video about a year ago where a place kick got blocked, came back to the holder, the kicker had backed up to "reload", and the kicking team almost had time to get off another place kick!

There was a time in Fed rules where possession by a player of team K killed the ball; they got rid of that about 15 yrs. ago. Also, none of the major codes now allow a 2nd forward pass during a down, even if the 1st pass was blocked.

Suudy Wed Sep 21, 2011 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Goodman (Post 788731)
Also, none of the major codes now allow a 2nd forward pass during a down, even if the 1st pass was blocked.

Indeed. We had this in the 2002 Apple Cup. Picket's pass hit a lineman, bounced back to him, and he threw a second pass for a TD. It was called back for an illegal forward pass.

Robert Goodman Wed Sep 21, 2011 07:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suudy (Post 788739)
Indeed. We had this in the 2002 Apple Cup. Picket's pass hit a lineman, bounced back to him, and he threw a second pass for a TD. It was called back for an illegal forward pass.

Then I hope that game wasn't played under Federation rules, because at that time multiple forward passes were legal!

HLin NC Wed Sep 21, 2011 07:57pm

Quote:

Apple Cup
That's the Washington-Washington State game.

Forksref Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 788553)
Is refumpire aware there are multiple rulesets out there? And that one can usually look up the easy ones like this one?

Sorry if you consider this being difficult... but with that moniker, I'm assuming you work football. If you can't already answer this before stepping on the field the very first time ... you shouldn't be stepping on the field and shame on your association.

No offense.

Why slam a guy for asking a question? Let's be more welcoming in here. :)(His moniker could imply basketball and baseball.)

Zebraman79 Wed Sep 28, 2011 03:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 788586)
My apologies then ... but surely you can understand the assumption that you are an official, given that you chose the name REFUMPIRE. Yes?

your name is funny thats what I call myself when we work 3 man because the referee is also the umpire!!!

Rob4092xx Mon Oct 10, 2011 08:16pm

I am also a newbie and must tell you, I am extremely disappointed with this response. It will definitely make me think twice before I post a question that "everyone can answer before stepping on the field the very first time."

My thoughts on websites like this is; we are all a brotherhood working towards common goals and objectives. We should respect each other and have fun to get there. These websites are for entertainment and education; not for belittling others!

My opinion is: if you cannot be patient with a newbie and answer questions they are sincere about, regardless of how simple the may seem to you, you shouldn't be responding on website forums like this!

Since you feel the need to place blame on someone in your response, I say, Shame on your parents for failing to teach you the golden rule; "Treat people like you want to be treated yourself!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 788553)
Is refumpire aware there are multiple rulesets out there? And that one can usually look up the easy ones like this one?

Sorry if you consider this being difficult... but with that moniker, I'm assuming you work football. If you can't already answer this before stepping on the field the very first time ... you shouldn't be stepping on the field and shame on your association.

No offense.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4092xx (Post 792635)
I am also a newbie and must tell you, I am extremely disappointed with this response. It will definitely make me think twice before I post a question that "everyone can answer before stepping on the field the very first time."

My thoughts on websites like this is; we are all a brotherhood working towards common goals and objectives. We should respect each other and have fun to get there. These websites are for entertainment and education; not for belittling others!

My opinion is: if you cannot be patient with a newbie and answer questions they are sincere about, regardless of how simple the may seem to you, you shouldn't be responding on website forums like this!

Since you feel the need to place blame on someone in your response, I say, Shame on your parents for failing to teach you the golden rule; "Treat people like you want to be treated yourself!"

Really. How many times do I need to apologize to be ok in your book? Cripes.

habram Sun Oct 16, 2011 09:28pm

no title

To all , I really hope that one day i can look at this site without seeing the responses from wise guys.

Most questions only need an answer.

JRutledge Sun Oct 16, 2011 09:54pm

This is an open forum, people will, can and are going to respond how they wish. If you want only answers than you probably should leave the internet right now as that is never going to be always the case. Sorry, but even if I do not like someone's response, that is not going to change that fact anytime soon.

Peace

HLin NC Mon Oct 17, 2011 06:14am

We old hands forget that there are new people always coming to the forum.
New hands don't realize that many of the questions asked are questions already answered. Most new posters at any forum will be instructed to read the FAQ's before posting. At some forums, particularly the more technical or hard core fan (sports, music, what have you), a newbie can get seriously scorched for asking a perceived "bad question".

Picking a handle like "refumpire" leads others into thinking that one would already know the biz. Some questions asked are probably better off asked in realtime at a local meeting or from a mentor.

Finally, this and a few other officiating sites we seem to all frequent, are not fan oriented sites. Most of us participating are experienced officials and the discussions tend to lead to more technical or historical perspectives not elementary topics.

I'm not saying its ok to be rude and I'm not saying I've not done it. Some of us have just been around longer and are more familiar and thus more casual with our comments sometimes. Kind of like you might say something to a longtime co-worker that you wouldn't say to someone your company just hired.

I learned very quickly in this business though, if your feelings are easily bruised, this may not be the best "hobby" to pick up. That varsity coach, who's livelihood somewhat depends on how his game goes, will be a whole lot rougher than we'll ever be.