The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 27, 1999, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Question

On a try for point following a TD from the 3 yrd line. Team A is lined up in regular formation (going for two). During the running play A1 is facmasked at the 8 yardline by B1. A1 is then tackled at the 12 yard line by B2.

Using the Federation Rule book. Where is the enforcement spot?

I marked it from the spot of the foul so the retry came from the 4 yrd line. Is that right??
Old Mon Sep 27, 1999, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Aj......This is a running play that ended
behind the line of scrimmage. Any fouls by B
behind the line of scrimmage will be
enforced at the basic spot (line of
scrimmage). Therefore, you would have a
replay at the 1 1/2 after a walk of half the
distance. ........Larry Gonski
Old Tue Sep 28, 1999, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Where in the Federation Rule Book can I look to find this rumling?
Old Tue Sep 28, 1999, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

The penalty enforcement for this play is on page 63, Fig. 1.......Larry Gonski
Old Thu Sep 30, 1999, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Larry,

Thanks for your response.

I was reading that section of the rule book. I do not see where it says the basic spot is the previous spot. I read the following.

The basic spot on a running play is the End of Run. And the all but one principle only applies to a fouls by A. Therefore, I think the enforcement spot should be the End of Run.

Any comments...?
Old Thu Sep 30, 1999, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Aj....On that particular play, the basic spot is the previous spot. If B fouls beyond the line of scrimmage, then the basic spot is the previous spot. Like wise if B fouls behind the line of scrimmage. If A fouls down field, the basic spot is the previous spot. If A fouls behind the line of scrimmage, then it is that 'one' and it is a spot foul. When, a running play goes beyond the line of scrimmage, the basic spot moves provided that there is no flag. The ball where ever it ends is now the basic spot. If there is a clip on the fifty and the ball is downed at the two yard line, A's foul was behind the basic spot.Therefore it is a spot foul.All other fouls on A beyond the basic spot or by B anywhere is enforced at the basic spot (2 yard line). Page 64, fig. 3. This only applies to a run. It is a little confusing but you must read over and over page 63 and 64... Larry Gonski
Old Thu Oct 07, 1999, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Larry,

I do not think I am confused, anymore. I asked this question to many referees in my association. End of the run seems to be the proper enforcement spot.

The basic spot is the spot where the related run ends for a foul which occurs during a running play as defined by 10.3.2.

This is further illistrated when you read the rules in 10.5 Special enforcement rules

Art 3
The enforcement spot for any foul by the defense is the goal line when the run ends in the end zone and would result in a safety.

I read from this that normally the enforcement spot would be from the end of the run. However, when the end of the run is in the endzone and there is a foul by B, you move the enforcement spot forward to the goal line and mark it off from there.

Case example:
1st and 10 for A at A's own 6 yard line. During a running play B1 grasps A3 facemask and A3 is tackled in the endzone.

Enforcement spot is the goalline in this situation not the end of the run OR the previous spot. After a 15 yard march off. It would result in first and one from A's own 15 yard line.

Please help me out is you feel this is totally wrong. Please site examples and Case studies too.

Regards,
AJ

[This message has been edited by ajkottke (edited October 07, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ajkottke (edited October 07, 1999).]
Old Fri Oct 08, 1999, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Aj.....Thanks for the info from your end and from your association. You are right that on that particular play, the enforcement is where you had it. I crossed myself with a loose ball play. I hope we can keep this board alive with this dialogue. If A throws a illegal foward pass from his end zone, does B have the option?.......Larry Gonski
Old Sun Oct 10, 1999, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Larry Gonski on 10-08-1999 12:12 AM
Aj.....Thanks for the info from your end and from your association. You are right that on that particular play, the enforcement is where you had it. I crossed myself with a loose ball play. I hope we can keep this board alive with this dialogue. If A throws a illegal foward pass from his end zone, does B have the option?.......Larry Gonski

How can A throw an illegal forward pass from his own end zone?
Old Sun Oct 10, 1999, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Tom....Intentional grounding is a form of an illegal pass. If the QB is running for his life in his end zone and throws it away, it is intentonal grounding page 49 table 7-5 in Fed. book. The question is if B is behind by five points and time is running out, would B get the option of refusing the penalty especially if the line of scrimmage is at the one? Larry Gonski
Old Mon Oct 11, 1999, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Larry,

In that situation, the defense scored has saftey. The enforcement spot for this penalty is the endzone. The defense has no choice, but to accept the safety.

AJ
Old Mon Oct 11, 1999, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Aj.....Your are correct. Belive it or not I had a playoff game years ago that went into a protest. The B's team wanted the penalty declined and wanted A to punt the ball at the one yard line with 21 seconds to go. After I enforced the rule and the game was over soon, that team logged a protest with state office. A's team went on to win the next week championship game.......Larry Gonski............How about this.. On a field goal, B's player jumps up in front of the crossbar and swats the low kick away. Is the field goal good or no good?
Old Tue Oct 12, 1999, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
Larry,

In Texas we use NCAA rules, which would say that the swatted kick is definitely no good, since it did not go thru the uprights. However, there would be an illegal batting foul against Team B, which would result in a safety.
Old Tue Oct 12, 1999, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Lee....Same for Fed. except there is no rule for illegal batting. It is considered a block by R. Does the opponent of the scoring team have to receive the following kick-off?...Larry Gonski
Old Wed Oct 13, 1999, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lee Jones
Talking

Larry...after a safety, the team which was awarded two points must receive the ball via a kick, unlike a touchdown, where the team scored against decides (yeaah, like you are gonna let them kick off) who gets the ball.

Lee