The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

I have a semi-pro game on Saturday and they use NFL Rules. Does anyone have a copy or know where I can get one?
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Try Border's books...

I bought the pocket-book size NFL rule book at our local Border's. You may be able to find it at one of the large national chain book stores.

Hey, you guys are starting early! Our first semi-pro game is not until May 10th. The Hawaii Football League uses NCAA rules with NF timing.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

This is the last pre-season game. Regular season evidently starts in April.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Our semi-pro doesn't begin until April 19th, preceeded by a scrimmage on April 5th.

Can't wait to get back on the field!
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

If you want a confusing hodge podge of rules and supplements, the NFL rulebook is for you. Penalty enforcement is especially complicated. Those guys sure have a job and a half every Sunday.

Was never able to find the 'tuck' supplement in the one I bought (with Jermaine Lewis on the cover).
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Illegal forward pass/safety

I play flag football in Raleigh,NC and I am looking for clarification on a couple of rules.
Can you help me out?

Scenario: A defensive player standing in front of the opponents endzone jumps to intercept a pass. His momentum carries him into the endzone. He clearly has both hands securely on the ball. Before he touches the ground, he pushes the ball forward out of the endzone to a teammate. My question is 'Is this an illegal forward pass?'

We were penalized for illegal forward pass and charge with a safety.
Can any officials out there give any validity to this?

Thank you

Steve15
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Scenario: A defensive player standing in front of the opponents end zone jumps to intercept a pass. His momentum carries him into the end zone. He clearly has both hands securely on the ball. Before he touches the ground, he pushes the ball forward out of the end zone to a teammate. My question is 'Is this an illegal forward pass?'

I’m probably going to get into trouble for this, but I have nothing on this play. Lets walk through it and see if I’m just running out of bounds.

"Scenario: A defensive player standing in front of the opponent’s end zone jumps to intercept a pass".

(I’m assuming that he’s got the ball at this point but has not yet caught or intercepted the ball by touching the ground)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"His momentum carries him into the end zone"

(The momentum exception does not apply until an interception or catch has occurred.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"He clearly has both hands securely on the ball."

(My feeling here is he doesn't really have possession yet. NF 2-32-1 says ...“A ball in player possession is a live ball held or controlled by a player after it has been handed or snapped to him, or after he has caught or recovered it” ...none of these things has happened).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Before he touches the ground, he pushes the ball forward out of the end zone to a ".

(Although the word “pushes” isn’t included in the definitions of a muff or batting. All that’s happened here was B1 has helped B2 intercept a pass)

Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Should be a no call.

National Federation rules: James is correct. There is no interception until the defensive player lands inbounds with at least one foot with the ball clearly in his possession. Therefore, while he is airborne, he can bat, pass, or hand the ball to his teammate, in any direction I might add... The reason is because team possession has not yet changed because the interception is not completed until he contacts the ground. The rule for illegal forward pass/handing only applies after team possession has changed.

The key concept to remember is the definition of a catch. For a catch to be complete, the receiver or interceptor has to land inbounds in possesion of the ball.

In your example, credit the teammate of the 2nd defender with the interception and he can advance the ball after that.

Just for sake of discussion lets say the 1st defender landed in the endzone and was tackled there. The momentum exception would not apply because the interception was completed when he landed in the end zone. Should be the defense's ball 1st and 10 at the 20 yard line.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA rules concur

In fact, something similar happened during a 2002 Bowl game (sorry...don't remember which one, but I believe the SWC had the game...Bible was the referee). A defender grabbed a pass while airborne. Realizing he would land OOB if he brought it to the ground, he shoveled it forward to a teammate. If I'm not mistaken, the crew screwed it up and ruled it an IFP. Didn't hurt too much since the defense still got the ball. However, a bulletin came out about that play subsequent to the bowl season.
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Auburn vs North Carolina I believe.
It always was and still is a legal play. Yes, the crew made an error but pushed for some rule clarification the following year.

Regarding the posters play, he stated he is playing flag football, so it is very possible that this is NOT legal under their unique rules.
We can't assume it they are even related to NFHS no NCAA rules. Would have to see their published rules to be sure if the call was right or wrong.
Old Tue Apr 01, 2003, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. Our rules are very similar to NCAA rules with a few Arena football rules thrown in. You have been very helpful. Thanks again.