The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

Position progression

Gentleman-

I'm admittedly not a football official (baseball and basketball) but it looks like I'm going to try to stumble my way onto the field this fall and give it a go with some help of some great local, veteran officials.

Out of pure curiosity, what is the typical progression of officiating positions in football? I think the obvious the most senior position is referee but where do the other positions fall in line. Maybe this is a dumb question and there is no "typical progression". Thanks

-Josh
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 12:24pm
Chain of Fools

Most areas tend to put the newbies at line judge as it seems to have the least responsibilities to learn initially and you mirror the HL on most things. I've heard some start at back judge with the philosophy that it keeps you out of the way. However given the increasing amount of passing, even in the middle schools, this theory is probably flawed. Of course, the younger ages don't usually use BJ's so there isn't that much opportunity anyway.

A lot of "big boys" get thrown in at umpire based on their physique alone.

I have heard of the philosophy, but have not seen in in practice, to throw you in at referee under the theory that nothing will make you learn the rules faster than that.

The referee is normally the "boss" although in crew based systems, the crew chief could be from another position based on seniority. In some pre-games I've been in, the referee will designate one of the other 4 officials on that evening's crew to take his place should he go down for some reason. The umpire does rule on all equipment related issues.

Last edited by HLin NC; Mon Aug 15, 2011 at 12:28pm.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2011, 02:50pm
TODO: creative title here

All of the non-varsity stuff around here is 2- or 3- person crews, so newbies spend most of their time as either L or LJ. The most senior person usually ends up taking the R position in these games, unless he wants to work a different spot.

My first year on the varsity crew I worked as an LJ (replacing the LJ who retired), and moved to U the next year (replacing the U who took a couple of years off to watch his son play varsity ball). I've been at U ever since, mainly because it's where I actually prefer to work.

I think it really depends on the crew needs, and most newbies are probably like me in that they'd work whatever varsity position they could get.
Old Tue Aug 16, 2011, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I started at umpire. White hat thought it a good spot for him to help me along. I have since been in every other position but still prefer umpire.

First game is Friday night... can't wait.