The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Question Advice for a new Back Judge

I'm working as a Back Judge this year and haven't ever worked that position, outside of a scrimmage, before. So I was hoping some of you could send some advice my way.

I searched the forum for back judge tips, etc. and got some off there but was wondering if there is anything else I might need to know.

Thanks in advance.
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Some of this might really be dictated by your local mechanics, but here are some minor tips.
  1. First movement should be backwards (run or pass).
  2. Do not get caught watching the ball.
  3. When you have GL responsibility, do not be in a big hurry to signal a TD when other officials have other coverage (sideline for example).
  4. Get involved in Penalty enforcement when you did not throw a flag. Help with a spot coverage or make sure the penalty is being enforced properly.
  5. Get to the sideline on plays that go out of bounds.

These are just some things, it might be better if you ask specific questions as many of us might not have your mechanics or area philosophy. I am sure many can help with specific plays or coverages.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 09, 2011, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

cdoug, we work in the same state, so my first advice to you is to learn the BJ mechanics in Maurer's "Gold Book." That's going to be the standard for judging mechanics in Ohio. The 2011 manual came with your state packet, but the 2010 version is also here:
http://ohsaa.org/sports/ft/boys/2010...Manual2010.pdf

So, for example, many people will tell you that you should start backwards at the snap: that is NOT an approved mechanic in Ohio. On short passes and runs up the middle you read your keys and stay up.

Still, you don't want to get beat deep. After you read pass, check the QB: if he's looking to the side with a receiver going deep, then get going. Don't get beat deep.

You've got the 25 second clock: don't forget to raise your hand with 5 seconds to go. In my games, that clock is really more like 28 seconds, unless the game is decided or the team with the lead is trying to run out the clock.

If you're covering your primary, you won't throw many flags. That's fine. Be a great dead-ball official: you have the broadest view of the field after the play. You should be part of the "triangle" getting the ball spotted on plays of 10+ yards (R takes it on shorter plays), but keep your eyes open.

Like all the positions, there's a rhythm to BJ. Relax and try to find it. RFP, start your clock, count B, read A's formation, keys, QB, play, cleanup, spot the ball.

Oh yeah, and have fun! You've got the best view of the game!
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the responses guys. As situations come up during the season I'm sure I'll be back with them.

MB, I have been going over the Gold Book I got with everything else this year and comparing that to what I've read/absorbed while looking for information on BJ mechanics, etc. I did notice that there seems to be a fair amount different from that than what others do, so thanks for pointing it out so I make sure to do it the "right" way.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Always keep candy with you in case the umpire gets hungry.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2011, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Work with your wings to decide: pass coverage, when you go from the goal line to the end line. Make sure you agree on who has what key to start the play. Learn the kicking game rules, you are the main guy for scrimmage kicks. You are the most likely one to clean up the plays and see late hits, etc. Officiate the blockers in FRONT of the runner. Don't worry about the runner unless he breaks clean and you are the one closest to him. Get to the goal line when there is a long TD play. Continue to officiate after the goal line is crossed and you have signaled TD.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Talk to the white hat and see what he expects of the position.
I have been on some crews that expect you to come in and relay the ball from the sideline to the middle, other crews the WH does it.
Old Thu Aug 11, 2011, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Once again, the advice from forks and aircraft is fine in general, but not in Ohio. Both coverages and relaying the ball are covered in the "gold book," and the expectation is that you'll do it that way.

FYI, BJ takes the inside receiver on the LJ side in twins and the two inside receivers in trips. Switch to zone coverage on long pass plays. BJ relays the ball on gains of 10+ yards, otherwise R does it.

Of course, if you happen to be on one of those "screw the gold book" crews, then I suppose it will look better to work consistently with your crew.