The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

Hey U's! (notice I didn't say "Utes" as in My Cousin Vinny)

I work some U, but not a lot. Just thinking, what is your mechanic for really seeing what's going on with an active offensive (and defensive) line? Specifically, how do you divide your attention with the R (cross-line responsibility, same side, etc.), how many players do you watch at any given time? Do you pick aggressive players and stay with them for a series, or do you move your gaze up and down the line to broaden your coverage?

I'm not so much interested in the mechanics (stepping up to the line on pass plays) as I am with how you work "in the trenches".

I'm sure everyoned does it a bit differently. Some perspectives, please.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

nothing beats the trenches !!
before the snap I do a "wide angle" scan--
tackle to tackle to see if there
is any movement
when the ball is snapped, I key off the guards to read pass
or run-----
if pass-- I do not step up right away to see if it's a screen
if it is a pass over the middle, behind you, be
VERY alert- so that you do not get nailed by
the ball (duck and turn)
if run--- pick up on the point of attack:
if it is a sweep, look back inside for dirty deeds
if it is coming at you watch the blocking so you
can pick up on a hold that deserves a flag and
be able to sidestep action so you don't get run
into-----
if play ends near you and you are retreiving
the ball-- do not be too hasty to bend down and
pick up the ball-- you can get hurt in there !
and use your voice to let the players know you
are there--- it stops a lot of hanky panky--
some really intense games, I'm hoarse from
that !
again-- nothing beats the trenches !!
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Arrow U's form a subculture within officiating...

Check with the R first on which tackle to key on the snap.

I've been lining-up 7 yards deep over the guards or center depending on the defensive formation. Any wider puts me in the path of sweeps and off-tackle plays.

Pre-snap I watch the center for snap legality while keeping the guards and tackles in my field of vision. After snap I read the far-side tackle's block.

Run block I pick-up point of attack. If guard pulls I watch him. If guard/center/tackle trap block I side-step either right or left to get out of the hole while watching the blocks at the point of attack. Only a few steps will get me out of harm's way. I strive to stay loose and not move my head around too much. Picking up the point of attack, officiating from my position inside-out, and focusing on the action around the ball at the point of attack works best for me. I can only watch about half of the line (2 to 4 players at any one time).

Pass block I step-up to the line and watch the blocking. The R will help me with his far-side tackle. I watch out for draws and get out of the way.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Mike has very good coverage.

I believe that, as Mike said, you watch only the "important" linemen. Linemen that are "actively engaged" in the play. POINT OF ATTACK, that is no more than three down linemen. Your peripheral (sp) vision will catch big take downs, chop blocks or other infractions if not at the POA. Always concentrate on the POA, you will never hear anything more important from a U.

Also, I watch problem players a little closer. Defensive players are coached to work the U. They complain about holding each and every play, take most with a grain of salt. Sometimes, however, that one lineman will deserve a little extra attention. Let him know he is getting that attention and that will more than likely cause him refrain from any illegal activity and the rest of the linemen know you are watching also.