The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Pick play (https://forum.officiating.com/football/7196-pick-play.html)

glt1958 Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:19pm

A89 runs a route straight down the field. A88 lined up on same side of field takes two steps downfield turns in and blocks B26.

A: Before ball is thrown.
B: While ball is in flight to A89.
C: Ball thrown is uncatchable.

HighSchoolWhiteHat Tue Jan 28, 2003 01:14pm

NFHS rules, NCAA or NFL rules

AndrewMcCarthy Tue Jan 28, 2003 01:15pm

Offensive Pass Interference

All three cases are OPI in NF rules since the contact was beyond the neutral zone. PI restrictions for A begin with the snap and the pass being uncatchable has no bearing in NF rules.

If A88 made immediate contact with B26 at the line and drove him downfield then there is no foul. In these three cases, however, it's pass interference.

mikesears Tue Jan 28, 2003 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by glt1958
A89 runs a route straight down the field. A88 lined up on same side of field takes two steps downfield turns in and blocks B26.

A: Before ball is thrown.
B: While ball is in flight to A89.
C: Ball thrown is uncatchable.

Ruling for National Federation of High School Rules (NFHS):

The way the play is written, it sounds like A88 initiated the contact. When the pass happens is of no consequence. A88 has commited Offensive PI. For a pass play, restrictions begin for the offense at the snap. NFHS rules do not have a catchability provision.

Ruling in all cases:
OPI. 15 yards from previous spot and loss of down.

ACK! Several people beat me to it! :D

[Edited by mikesears on Jan 28th, 2003 at 12:23 PM]

STEVED21 Tue Jan 28, 2003 01:30pm

FED:

OPI in all three cases.

glt1958 Tue Jan 28, 2003 02:01pm

I was interested in NF. Thank you for the replies.

HighSchoolWhiteHat Tue Jan 28, 2003 06:14pm

Maybe im reading this wrong but why can't A88 take 2 steps and block B26 before the ball is thrown? if the balls not in the air you have nothing but a clean block.Receivers are allowed to block.

Now on B & C I have OPI but On A I have nothing but a legal block. Maybe you guys are thinking this is a pick play but its not, the receiver(A89) ran straight down field and A88 threw a block before the ball was in the air.

Schmidt MJ Tue Jan 28, 2003 06:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by HighSchoolWhiteHat
Maybe im reading this wrong but why can't A88 take 2 steps and block B26 before the ball is thrown? if the balls not in the air you have nothing but a clean block.Receivers are allowed to block.

Now on B & C I have OPI but On A I have nothing but a legal block. Maybe you guys are thinking this is a pick play but its not, the receiver(A89) ran straight down field and A88 threw a block before the ball was in the air.

Doesn't matter if the ball was in the air yet or not. Offensive pass interference restrictions begin with the snap. The receiver is not allowed to block downfield on a play in which a forward pass crosses the neutral zone. Once the pass is touched by a player downfield then he can block. Also,in situation A, if the QB ends up scrambling and does not throw the ball then this is a running play and their is no penalty for OPI.

HighSchoolWhiteHat Tue Jan 28, 2003 07:51pm

MJ,

maybe I should have read the name on the post again. damn if it doesn't say PICK play.

forward pass interference doesn't start at the snap though. restrictions start at the snap only if A hinders B.(pick)

if the qb takes the snap and rolled out to the other side of the field than A89 and A88 were on and throws the ball to A80 do we still have OPI?

ABoselli Tue Jan 28, 2003 08:10pm

<i>forward pass interference doesn't start at the snap though. restrictions start at the snap only if A hinders B.(pick)</i>

It does start at the snap for <b>A</b>. It starts for B when the pass is in the air.

As far as this whole scenario happening on the side of the field away from the ensuing throw and catch, there's a no call there and a talk with the kid who blocked.

HighSchoolWhiteHat Tue Jan 28, 2003 08:32pm

I still disagree with you, Forward pass interfernce only starts at the snap if A hinders B.

if A is blocking for a running play and the qb see's a man downfield and throws the pass, are you telling me that its OPI? as long as the linemen are not past the expanded neutral zone then we have a legal play right?

ABoselli Tue Jan 28, 2003 08:55pm

I think we're talking about two different things here. The A lineman can block as long as they make immediate contact and do not go beyond the expanded neutral zone.

If a back or end blocks on a pass play (a pass that crosses the NZ) downfield before the ball is caught, its PI. If a lineman is going out to block for a screen and blocks his man downfield and the back catches the ball beyond the line, what do we got? OPI, that's what.

HighSchoolWhiteHat Wed Jan 29, 2003 04:53am

correct

thanks