The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 04:59am
Official Forum Member

NCAA Rules:

Clock is running on fourth down. The offense false starts. The penalty is enforced and the White Hat stops the clock and does not restart the clock until the inception of the next play. There was less than 50 seconds on the clock when the infraction happened.

Should the clock have been stopped?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

You left out an important detail...the team that false started was ahead (but not by much.) The R obviously decided the FS may have been a deliberate attempt by Team A to get time run off the clock, i.e. they would get a new 25 second play clock so could run 25 seconds more off the game clock without playing a down. I think it was a good move on the R's part and under NCAA rules he has the authority to keep itstopped till the snap.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

I agree with TXMike.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

TxMike:

Thanks for the clarification on the game situation. As a referee, do you like being put in the situation of "divining" the intent of the player? Especially in a situation like this? By the way, I do think the R made the correct call.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Since I am a BJ first and a R 2d, I cut my teeth on making "intent" calls since in NCAA rules you have to rule on defensive player's intent when making pass interference calls. I don't want to say I "like" having to make that call but I do see it as a vital role for us to fill and one that allows us to be more than soul-less automatons who are just throwing flags in response to certain acts. I know I sure like having the flexibility as a R to start or stop the clock when I feel someone is illegally trying to use or conserve time. If that means I have to judge intent before doing so, well then, so be it.
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Husker,

Whether or not the R was making a judgement call on the "intent" of the foul, you've got to make this call. If not, B is placed at a disadvantage. Otherwise, A could just false start their way to victory!
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
[i] If that means I have to judge intent before doing so, well then, so be it. [/B]
That's why they pay us (well most of us the "BIG BUCKS" . (if you work maryland youth ball you get the REALLY BIG BUCKS 8^)